Towing 2018 Wrangler JK Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

f6maniac

I have setup my JK for towing and took it out for a shake down tow behind the RV today. Following all the steps in Jeep Manual for towing (I'm not listing all the steps but I did do them in order) I put the transfer case in neutral and towed the jeep 20 or so miles with no problem. Unhooking, When I tried to shift the transfer case back into 2H, with the engine off as described in the manual, I couldn't get it to shift back into 4H or 2H. Anybody else have this problem and how do you address it?

Curt Cole
2014 Itasca Suncruiser
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK

I'm not a jeep owner but I would think you'd need the engine running with the transmission in neutral to get the transfer to engage. That's how it works on my chevy.

We always had the motor running when I took the transfer case out of neutral. That way I can turn the wheels left or right to allow the tow bar to release easier.

Ed

My Wrangler is quite a bit older('03)but I always have the engine running when I hook up or disconnect. When I put the t/case in neutral, I like to put the tranny in gear and make sure the t/case is really in neutral. Also the t/case seems to go back into gear more easily if the engine is running(trans in neutral, of course).

That year Jeep has a feeble connection between the gear shift and the automatic transmission. My brand new Rubicon did the same thing the first time I tried to shift into neutral.
Therewriteup by "Sarge" I think it was, about a fix. It's quite old.

With the transmission in neutral, roll the vehicle ever so slightly. Now try putting the lever in 2H. If that doesn't do it, apply gentle pressure to the transfer case lever towards 2H while rolling just a little bit. Don't force it, though.

Sometimes you just need things to move just a little bit for it to slide right in.

Thanks for the responses. I found that I can usually get the transfer case to go back into 2H by rocking the Jeep slightly front to back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom