Towing 24' 5,000 pound trailer, can't get over 45 MPH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am concerned about pulling the trailer from the front of my home with these current problems so my plan is to dirve the truck alone down to the dealership where I bought the trailer, ask them to hook it up to a similar trailer, take it for a spin.  I'm almost certain the same problem will be seen even though the previous owner called yesterday to say that he's certain the truck will easily pull that load and it must be that I'm not shifting at the right RPM (no way, I can't believe that).  Then after the test drive I plan to make what I believe is two reasonable requests (they take off at their cost the new hitch and new truck/trailer brake system I paid them to install and they put it on what will be my new truck, all for free. If the new truck has these two items then I expect a refund for those two items. Second they put on at cost antisway bars). 

If the test drives shows my truck is able to pull without a problem then it must be a problem with my trailer or how my truck's trailer brake system is communicating to trailer brake system. I cannot for a second believe it's how I'm driving the truck.  Either way I am quite concerned about this truck's towing capacity.  I do not have the owner's manual but most of my research shows a F-150 of this year should not be pulling more than 5 or 6 thousand pounds. At this point I need to prove to the dealership that they guided me incorrectly in my truck purchase so I can get a refund / reinstall of the hitch & truck / trailer brake system. After that I think it's time to look for a new truck whether or not this one can do a "fair" job of pulling my trailer. 

It's problems like this one that make a beginner ask why did I ever think about RVing at all. So far it's been a huge energy and money drain. I have received excellent advice here. You've kept me encouraged. I thank everyone of you!  I'll post a follow-up as to what happens in the next few days. 

I hope you find that the truck will pull another trailer - it should move it at highway speeds, even if it is overloaded, unsafe and burning up the transmission on the way!  Just make sure you can ascertain the real weight of this "other trailer", to make sure it is an apple-to-aples comparison. 

If the F150 won't tow another trailer either, I think you got taken by the previous owner of the truck, cause something is drastically wrong with it. Mind you, I'm not saying it is an adequate tow vehicle for that size trailer, but it should be able to get it to 55 mpg OK.

Good luck with the dealer.  You will probably need it!!!

Dealer suggested I take the truck to my mechanic just to be sure nothing wrong.  Did that.  My mechanic found the problem was the rear end ratiio (355 as I recall) and oversize tires are insufficient to tow the weight. Dealer agreed to pull out at their cost new hitch / new truck trailer brake system and refund my money for that or install it at no charge in my next truck.  I'll go for a longer wheel base as I think that will help with the sway too.  Will look for a truck with a tow package.  Will have my mechanic check it over and approve it for pulling my trailer before purchase.  Will research the towing capacity myself too.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Yes, a low ratio rear end and oversize tires (which effectively changes the rear end ratio as well) will certainly reduce towing capability.  Should give greatfuel economy, though. Hope you can sell the F150 to someone who wants a pretty, drive around town truck and recoup your money.

Now you know that you need to check things like GVWR and GCWR BEFORE you buy!

And I strongly recommend a 3/4 ton or 1 ton SRW (single rear wheel) truck to tow a trailer - it will be much sturdier all th eway around. More robust frame, brakes, suspension, etc., all plusses for safe and reliable towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom