Towing a 2006 HHR on a toe dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what an HHR is, but if you're towing it on a dolly it must be a car or truck, but perhaps it is a trailer. Do you have a problem or are you just curious? In either case, more info can be helpful to generate a reasonable response. So what an HHR is, what you're towing it with, what triggered your post, would all be helpful information.

I believe Fishingfool is referring to a Chevrolet HHR (mfg. 2005-2011).

download.jpg

Curious that he mentions a dolly; this model is flat towable, manual and automatic.

I have a ezy toe dolly that I would like to use dolly has removable ramps i talked to chev and they said bottom clearance was the problem for dolly towing and was wondering if anyone was dolly towing this car

Because I have a new toe dolly and the car is old and I might have to change cars some day

Edit: See HHR owner's manual for towing information.

It might be worth just trying to load your HHR onto the dolly to see if it works. It's ** not ** an acceptable towing method stated per the manufacturer. All HHR's are front wheel drive only (so I'm not sure why not).

Flat towing is great...but maybe not great if you don't plan to keep the car for long. Tow bar, installation, brake module, wiring, etc, is a real pain, and it's quite expensive and most of it is vehicle-specific.

Last edited:
It might be worth just trying to load your HHR onto the dolly to see if it works. It's an acceptable towing method stated per the manufacturer. All HHR's are front wheel drive only.

Flat towing is great...but maybe not great if you don't plan to keep the car for long. Tow bar, installation, brake module, wiring, etc, is a real pain, and it's quite expensive and most of it is vehicle-specific.
Thank you

Thank you

Actually, do check your owner's manual. I'm looking for a toad right now and decided to look up to see if there were any HHR's for sale -- always kind of liked them -- and also downloaded a copy of the owner's manual. It actually states dolly-towing is NOT acceptable but does not state why. A quick internet search reveals posts on other forums which state the same -- but also anecdotal evidence that people have not had problems dolly towing them.

Maybe someone in here can chime in if they own one.

You know what happens when I make an assumption. lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.46.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.46.46 PM.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 5
HHR is built for easy access with low clearance. Dolly towing can/will rip its 'buttock'. Also the rail on your dolly will rip your chassis bottom as well when you hit a bump or climb a driveway from road. I believe is has a tow mode which disengages the tranny electronically unlike other front wheel cars. Ask your dealer about that option and age will not be much of a factor if tow mode is enabled. Good luck

HHR is built for easy access with low clearance. Dolly towing can/will rip its 'buttock'. Also the rail on your dolly will rip your chassis bottom as well when you hit a bump or climb a driveway from road. I believe is has a tow mode which disengages the tranny electronically unlike other front wheel cars. Ask your dealer about that option and age will not be much of a factor if tow mode is enabled. Good luck
The owners manual does not say anything about a "tow mode".

Other than leaving the keys on with ACC enabled and setting the gear in Neutral, it asks to remove one fuse in order to prevent the battery to get discharged during towing. Pretty standard procedure for automatic vehicles than can be dingy-towed.

I should have been more specific. By 'tow mode' I meant the options that enable it for a flat tow. This option is different for Jeeps, Volvos, Fords etc. Yes, for HHR is by engaging the Transmission control unit and ECU alone and removing a fuse to prevent battery drain.

Back
Top Bottom