Towing a 2007 Jayco 19ft JTX with Ford F150 8 cyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnystef

Hello again! We are going to look at the above rig Saturday and was looking for anyone's advice on whether I could effectively tow it. I think I have a fairly good idea on what to look for in terms of condition, but I am a novice. The asking price is 5700 bucks. The trucks engine 5.4  triton and the truck is an xlt model. Any thoughts?

Off the top of my head...  I would say you will have no problem as long as its properly hitched and hooked up electrically.

For a better and more accurate answer.  Some specs on the gross weight of the trailer and the tow ratings of your particular build would be in order.

Year: 2006
Make: Ford
Model: F-Series
Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, USA
Vehicle Type: Truck (Completed Vehicle)
Brake System: Hydraulic
GVWR Class: F
GVWR Range: 7,001 - 8,000
Restraint System Type: Active Belts and Second Generation Air Bags
Series: F150
Chassis Type: 4X2
Cab or Body Type: Super Cab Styleside
Engine Displacement: 5.4 Litre
Engine Type: SOHC
Engine Configuration: V-Type
Number of Cylinders: 8
Fuel Type: FFV
Engine Manufacturer: Ford
Vehicle Assembly Plant Name: Norfolk
Vehicle Assembly Plant Location: Norfolk, Virginia

I'm not sure that helps, and the trailer is here:

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2007/Jayco/M-19-JTX/4091418/Standard-Equipment

The weight given on the NADA site is "Dry Weight".  A worthless number often quoted by dealers.  To that you have to add for :  Options, Water, gas, and other things you carry with you like cookware, clothes, tools, bedding etc.

I suggest always going by the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of the trailer.  Chances are you actual weight when towing will be less than this figure.    Compare this to the weight your truck is actually rated to tow based on the type of hitch you have. 

It will be advisable to use a Weight Distrubuting hitch and sway contol.  You will also need an electric brake contoller and the 7way RV plug at the rear of your truck.  You should also have a transmission cooler for the fluid.  IF your truck has the factory towing package.  It should have the receiver hitch for the WD hitch and the 7way RV plug and tranny fluid cooler.  Your truck should have also come with a pigtail to hook up an electric brake controller.

Size and weight wise...  your truck should do fine with the proper setup mentioned above.  I would also suggest some mirror extensions so you can see down the side of the trailer much better also.

Brake controller-check
Plug-check
Tranny cooler-check
Tow package-check

Not sure what a pigtail is. The brake control is under the steering wheel. Not sure how to work it yet!

Thanks for your advice.

jonnystef said:
Brake controller-check
Plug-check
Tranny cooler-check
Tow package-check

Not sure what a pigtail is. The brake control is under the steering wheel. Not sure how to work it yet!

Thanks for your advice.

The pigtail was used to install the brake controller.  It plugs in under the dash and then attaches to the controller.

A proper hitch and sounds like you are good to go!!!

Generally speaking, the term pigtail refers to the piece of wire or wires used to connect a piece of equipment to the existing car or truck wiring. It is usually connected or attached to the the piece on one end  by the manufacturer of the piece  while the other end is loose, ready to connect to the car/truck.

Thanks Big D. We figure it wasn't meant to be. Have seen a couple since and this forum makes me feel confident. The search continues!

Back
Top Bottom