Towing a CRV with a Class C RC25 E450 possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

I am going to be hitting the road in March and I will be full time RVing.  Does anyone have any recommendations on the towing capacity of the subject mentioned?  And any suggestions on particular tow dollies I might look into buying?  Does anyone have one for sale in North Georgia?
Thanks
WC

CR V’s up to and including 2014 can be flat towed and no dolly necessary.  RC25 lists towing capacity at 8000 lbs, so as long as you don’t exceed total combined weight capacity, you’re good as the CR V clocks in well under 4000. (If CR V is 2015 or newer, your towing capacity still allows plenty for a dolly or trailer.)

Our Cherokee and Patriot cannot be flat towed.  We use an American Dolly with no problems.  They are sold directly and delivered to your door by the manufacturer.

RVRAC said:
Our Cherokee and Patriot cannot be flat towed.  We use an American Dolly with no problems.  They are sold directly and delivered to your door by the manufacturer.
Two wheel drive then? My understanding is that 4WD isn't towable on a dolly.

My understanding is that 4WD isn't towable on a dolly.
That's not universally true.  Generally, AWD (All-Wheel-Drive) cannot be dolly towed, but AWD is technically different than 4WD in that it lacks a shiftable transfer case.  4WD that has a transfer case with a selectable neutral can be dolly towed (in 4WD neutral).  However, some 4WD have elecronic shifting that lacks a neutral and those too cannot be towed in most cases, dolly or flat.

Also be aware that all 2WD are not dolly-towable. Most rear drive 2WD these days cannot be dolly towed for the same reason they cannot be flat-towed - lack of transmission lubrication & cooling.

With so many different drive train types these days, about the only useful advice is "check the owner manual", usually under Recreational Towing or simply Towing.

Back
Top Bottom