Towing a Saturn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody

Since there doesn't appear to be a special towing section here I thought I would post this in the General area.
I have long heard that most Saturn autos, with the exception of the Vue, could be easily towed without major modifications.
Can anyone tell me why this is ??
Do they not have to have a transmission pump or driveshaft disconnect installed before they may be towed ??

Woody

WoodyVanNote said:
Since there doesn't appear to be a special towing section here I thought I would post this in the General area.
I have long heard that most Saturn autos, with the exception of the Vue, could be easily towed without major modifications.
Can anyone tell me why this is ??
Do they not have to have a transmission pump or driveshaft disconnect installed before they may be towed ??

Woody

The Saturn transmission in the earlier cars was being lubed by the rear wheels turning and didn't need a disconnect. The early Vues with the CVT transmission could not be towed due to the different type of transmission in the car. The Vues with the Honda engine/transmission can be towed. Gary Brinck recently posted the Saturn factory bulletin outlining the towing procedures for that setup.

i have been flat towing a 00 saturn sl2, automatic for about 15k mi without problems. put in neutral, turn key to aux, be sure brake is offand go.  no problem..... very light.... dint know its back there........ Johns.

jewellz said:
i have been flat towing a 00 saturn sl2, automatic for about 15k mi without problems. put in neutral, turn key to aux, be sure brake is offand go.  no problem..... very light.... dint know its back there........ Johns.

John

Very true for the SL series but the discussion was about the Vue which has a different power train.

Woody,
I am towing a 2006 V-6 Vue FWD since last Sept. with no problems and no special devices. Just run the transmission thru the gears from park down to 1st and back up to neutral, let it run for three mins. and shut it off. Now you can tow it for up to seven hours at up to 65 mph before having to run it through the gears again.  I have also towed a 2003 L-300 V-6 and a 1999 SL with no extra devices.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom