Towing a Stacker Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbonon

I am curious if anyone reading this is towing a 2 car stacker trailer behind a 40' diesel pusher, and if so what
size trailer hitch are you using. Any advise also that can be given.
Thanks
Rob

The hitch/receiver size is determined by the weight of the trailer. Will your stacker, loaded with two cars, exceed the 10,000 lbs of a Class V hitch?  If so, you may have difficulty findng a hitch for this combination.  And you may also exceed the coaches GCWR, definitely a no-no.

Robbonon said:
I am curious if anyone reading this is towing a 2 car stacker trailer behind a 40' diesel pusher, and if so what
Thanks
Rob

Been courous about that myself, but decided to tow one car 4 down instead

Robbonon said:
Hi Rob,
I can't answer your question but at a recent rally in Eugene Oregon a vendor was there displaying his Ultimate toy hauler.  It can tow  both a boat and a car.  His web site  shows it well. www.deucehaul.com
Maybe a call to him at 541-484-0871 could get you an answer.
Betty

Thanks for posting that Betty. The boat looks quite precarious perched at an angle like that. Does it travel down the road at that angle? (I don't see a mechanism for having the boat/upper tier to be carried horizontally).

Somehow I don't think the one Betty mentioned would be my choice if I were going to tow a boat and car.  The double deck trailer setups are more appealing to me.  I have seen a couple of the double deckers and they look pretty sturdy.

Tom said:
Thanks for posting that Betty. The boat looks quite precarious perched at an angle like that. Does it travel down the road at that angle? (I don't see a mechanism for having the boat/upper tier to be carried horizontally).
Tom,
You know I did not see the rig in motion  however I think it does travel at that angle. I know several people here have mentioned seeing such a set up going down the road and I wanted to share the site so people could see it and how it works.  His web site says you can order a free video which would most likely show more details. I thought it looked quite clever for folks who want to do it all though the brochure say the boat is limited to 20 1/2 feet.
Betty

Thanks Betty. Yes, I saw the link to order a video, but I'm really skeptical about carrying my 18.5' bass boat that way. From their description, it sounds like it relies heavily on tiedowns to keep the boat in that position. I think I'll keep looking  :-\

Here is a double decker you might like from the Michelin Video.  I have seen similar trailer but the boat was on top and could be lowered for launching after car was removed.
See attached photo.

Attachments

• doubledeck trailer.jpg
    doubledeck trailer.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 42
That one is a montser Ron. If I put the Burb and the boat on it I'm sure I'll be way over my towing capacity and my CGVWR. Time for a bigger coach  ;D

Time for a bigger coach

Hmmm, should we expect to see a new Marathon at a near future rally? ??? ??? ??? ;D Some of those bigger coaches have less capacity left to pull something like that than the one you got. ;D

Maybe I should just put a larger engine in our existing coach, but that wouldn't give me a higher towing capacity  :(

As for a new Marathon, I'll have to save my pennies, but they do have a 15,000 lbs towing capacity rating. (I know, that's not necessarily what they can tow).

Yeah, here's the one I saw.  This one looks like one of the best.  But I'll bet it costs a pretty penny!

http://www.builtrite.net/

Back
Top Bottom