Towing a toad with a bit of overload for several hundred miles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is why I said "trailer is relatively easy" -- not an absolute, but much easier than a flat tow. As I said above, I've never hooked on to a dolly, but the configuration makes it look tougher than a trailer to back, just as the toad is tough.

It's lunch time here.... story time!! We've gotten hung up with our rig + toad, 4-down, twice now.

Once involved a screaming match. We had just arrived, pulled up to the check-in shack at a campground. There was an incident unfolding at the back of the park and first responders were needing clear in/out access, just as we were checking in, as the host informed us. He told us no motorhomes could enter (yet the park was full of rigs, and the incident in the back of the park was a campfire that had gotten out of control!), but that he would lead us around the park so we could exit. I specifically asked if we should disconnect as the park looked rather tight. He said no. Follow me, quickly. I was right...we got hung up on the first corner, but it wasn't our toad that was the problem, it was the 343" wheelbase of our rig. Nearby campers had to move their cars for us. Finally, at the exit, which involved a sharp left turn, the rig wasn't going to make it, and all 55-ish feet of rig + toad were blocking the entrance *and* exit. I was afraid to back with our toad connected after being told it should NOT be done. So I hopped out of the MH to begin disconnecting, and the guy yelled at me that I couldn't just leave the rig there, and that's when I saw black. Needless to say, we weren't friends after that. He asked what happened if the Fire Department arrived *right now* and I was still blocking. This campground had nice, RV-destroying rocks lining all the tight corners as to protect the grass, as well as along the entrance. I told him the FD could drive over his friggin rocks he put everywhere if they needed to get around me.

The second time was coming home last week. I was driving another car following our rig + toad. Husband got the whole combination bound up trying to make a left turn across kind of a wonky, back-angle intersection. He piped up on the radio while I blocked traffic behind him, "what the heck do I do now?" and I said you're going to back up while I watch. And he did...he was able to jackknife just enough and not upset the front wheels on the toad while moving backwards. Now we know. And it really does help to have a spotter in those situations.

Brought the motorhome, through major ice storm and snow, had to drive 40mph mostly, took 12 hours. Ice had been so bad that it's not possible to walk without falling.
How RV can travel over this is beyond me.
I was afraid to get trapped by more snow and ice (more is on the way), so just kept pushing.
It amazed me that with zero rv driving and zero towing experience I was able to bring the whole thing in, there were a few cars and even a couple of semis crashed on the roadsides and for half the trip mine was the only vehicle on the road, no one was driving.
Had to go over major highways and very windy hilly icy country roads.
Now it's stuck in a campground with dolly attached, as I was able to get it up to the only place to park on the hill even though it kept sliding on ice (couldn't go downhill as it'd slide and crash for sure), until ice melts.
It wasn't that bad, I was feeling pretty confident about towing after 2-3 hours on the road, car on a dolly seems to be easy to pull.
The harnesses/strap in these Uhaul dollies end up frozen solid in cold climate and ratchet won't move it, it's been quite an experience to deal with that, most setup time was spent on trying to get straps to move. Don't think they want de-icer on them as it might break down the fabric.

Last edited:
Where are you now? We in north TX are getting freezing rain and traffic is a mess all over the area. The Dallas ambulance service has responded to 142 injury accidents by 8:30 am. I35 in Denton county is now closed in both directions due to multiple accidents.
In Kentucky. I don't think anyone should traveling without 4wd today, the ice is so bad can't walk even few feet. My towed car looks like one big dirty icicle, and windshield wipers on RV were getting golf ball sized icicles on them in no time, one literally would have to stop all the time just to remove them.
2nd freezing rain is forecasted in 2 or 3 days.

Last edited:
It looks like we will be south of the freezing rain here in Louisiana, driving westward towards home from Baton Rouge at the moment, misting rain forecast low tonight in the mid 30s

Where I'm in Kentuky, I'm out in the country and can't even leave the cabin, everything is so icy no way to walk.
Crazy first travels with your new motorhome. Congratulations by the way. Stay safe, you might be ok driving, other dingalings maybe not. I certainly would not desire to correct a slide with car in tow.

In Kentucky. I don't think anyone should traveling without 4wd today, the ice is so bad can't walk even few feet. My towed car looks like one big dirty icicle, and windshield wipers on RV were getting golf ball sized icicles on them in no time, one literally would have to stop all the time just to remove them.
2nd freezing rain is forecasted in 2 or 3 days.
Glad to hear that you are doing well. take your time and don't get overconfident. It's gonna be messy for a couple o' days.

That's quite the adventure, right out the gate! Nice work.

Once you get somewhere warm, be sure to flush out the undercarriage of the coach real well. You've probably driven in all kinds of de-icer and that's pretty hard on the exposed underbelly of an RV.

mountain.... Don't sweat towing with a dolly! I've been doing it with my motor homes for 15 years. WHAT YOU DO NEED TO KNOW from U-Haul is the dolly that you will be using, is it a "fixed" deck (where the front tires sit) or is it a swivel deck? With a fixed deck, you can back up very short distances, you leave your steering wheel unlocked, and the wheels of your car turn, helping the car follow in the path of the dolly and tow vehicle, Fixed deck dollies tend to take wider turns behind the towing vehicle. Swivel deck dollies are much more preferred. The deck or sometimes called "pan" the front wheels sit on swivels on a pivot point in the center of the deck. When loaded the car wheels are "locked" with the ignition switch. Swivel deck dollies track in a tighter arc behind the tow vehicle, essentially directly following the path of the tow vehicle. Because of the swiveling deck, these types of dollies can not be backed up. It would be the same effect as a jacked-knifed trailer. So this means you have to be extra vigilant of your directions, fuel stops, and parking for any overnight. Believe me, with everything properly hooked up you will not even know your car is behind you on a swivel deck dolly. I would guess your new motor home will have a rear camera. Towing behind you, dolly or 4-down, actually makes it easier to pass on an interstate and checking the camera monitor for a safe distance to pull back into the right lane.

One last item to check with UH is what type of brakes the dolly has, my guess is they will be hydraulic surge brakes vs electric. They can describe the difference to you.

Good luck and safe travels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had towed my car across more than half of the country by now.
I found it to be pretty easy and was able to get into all kinds of gas stations, store parking lots, rest areas. Had some problems so far but these were related to actions by others and my own mistake of trying to turn around in a wrong place.

That's quite the adventure, right out the gate! Nice work.

Once you get somewhere warm, be sure to flush out the undercarriage of the coach real well. You've probably driven in all kinds of de-icer and that's pretty hard on the exposed underbelly of an RV.
That's what I was thinking about.
I had washed the undercarriage of both the RV and the car after getting the RV out of Indiana, there was definitely a lot of deicer on roads.
But after that I traveled South from Souther Kentucky (not a snow area, generally), going through Arkansas, OK, NM, TX, AZ: there was no ice or snow on roads at that time, all dry, so not sure if I should wash the undercarriage again?
And where do you wash an RV, at least the lower part of it?
Self service car washes don't have bays tall enough.

And where do you wash an RV, at least the lower part of it?
Self service car washes don't have bays tall enough.
I use the Blue Beacon truck washes. For my 38' DP they charge $47 (in Denver) and that includes an underbody spray on the way in, a strong overhead spray once you are stopped, and people with spray wands and brushes to clean the coach. They've always done an excellent job. I do remind them each time to be careful with those high pressure sprayers around seam lines and windows, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom