towing a toyota prius prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might tow it on a trailer, or front tires on a dolly, but I'm pretty sure you won't flat tow it.

As the others said, you must use a dolly or a trailer. No Prius can be flat-towed (4 wheels on the pavement) except a few miles at low speed in an emergency (see owner manual). Assuming you are aware of that, are you asking if others have experienced any problems while doing that?

Ours is a Prius Prime meaning it has a battery that can be charged to get 30 miles on a charge. I’ve seen other Prius dolly towed but they weren’t Primes.

We have a Prius (not prime) that has an EV mode that allows for about 25-30 miles on the battery alone. It’s not a plug-in.

With all due respect, no non-plug in Prius does that. Does your Prius drive with the ICE off? My wife drives a 2013 Prius Plug in and gets about 12 miles from the charged battery before the ICE is needed. The Prius Prime is the next evolution of the PIP Prius, it gets the longer EV range.

With all due respect, no non-plug in Prius does that. Does your Prius drive with the ICE off? My wife drives a 2013 Prius Plug in and gets about 12 miles from the charged battery before the ICE is needed. The Prius Prime is the next evolution of the PIP Prius, it gets the longer EV range.
Well, our Prius has an EV button when pressed allows driving on battery alone for a short distance.

EV mode is for 1 mile range max and limited to very low speeds. Mostly to move the car around in a parking lot or so. No where near your claim of 25-30 miles. Just go out and drive it in EV mode and report back.

EV mode is for 1 mile range max and limited to very low speeds. Mostly to move the car around in a parking lot or so. No where near your claim of 25-30 miles. Just go out and drive it in EV mode and report back.
Yeah, just looked at the book from the car. Toyota says about .6 of a mile. I was looking at a Website that was obviously incorrect. I think I will try it though since the ICE will kick in before the battery is depleted. I’ll post back here at what mileage the ICE actually kicks in.

25-30 is the battery assisted mileage, right? Like any other hybrid. The Prime has two electric motors and a bigger battery, but otherwise works & tows like the regular Prius. I would expect that it dolly tows the same as well, but read the owner manual section on recreational towing.

Tried the EV mode on the Prius. It’s useless. First time it disengaged because I was going too fast (20+). Second time it wouldn’t engage because the battery wasn’t charged enough. The book says to use the EV mode when driving through neighborhoods during quiet hours. Really. These cars don‘t lope through neighborhoods like a blown hemi with headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom