towing a vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

We are about to indulge our selves by purchasing a class A motor home in the very near future, and becomming full time RVers.
I have searched many sites and looked for info. on this subject but can't seem to get a straight answer, may be someone here can answer my question being you all seem to have a tremendous amount of knowledge.
From your experience, what is the best vehicle to be towed? automatic trans. or stick etc:
At this time we have a mini van, auto-trans. but am considering replacing as it has an abundance of miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any input, Steve

We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I like Jeep 4WD products as they can be towed with no distance restrictions or modifications other than adding the towbar and wiring lights.  The instructions for towing are included in the owners manual.  Some Saturns can also be towed but not all anymore.  Other vehicles being towed include the Grand Vitara and Tracker and some GM products.  Other vehicles can be modified for towing.  Remco is considered a excellent source to check if any particular vehicle can be towed and what mods are required if any.

Steve,

Welcome to the RV Forum.? Experience has shown that car dealers are the least reliable for advice on the ability to tow their vehicles as they really do not fully understand towing on all fours.? Even calling the customer service lines of car manufacturers yields conflicting information.

As Ron suggests, most RVers have found Remco Towing to be the most reliable source of information.? This is the company that makes transmission pumps and other accessories for towing.? Their information will be correct and if the car you ask about does not need modification, they'll say so.? ?(800) 228-2481

Another good source for information is Blue Ox, makers of tow bars and base plates.? Their customer service is second to none, as they are present at most major rallies to provide free adjustment and lubrication to your hitch.? (800) 336-4336

Ron gave you a quick summary - many of us tow 4WD vehicles because those with a transfer case can be towed in Neutral without modifications.  But some 2 WD automatics and many sticks can be towed as well and still more can be towed after some modifications. "Modifications" means a driveline disconnect or transmission lube pump, both products from Remco Towing.  Your minivan could probably be towed with the addition of a lube pump, but if it is getting old its probably not worth the expense.

You can check the Motorhome Magazine web site for lists of cars that can be towed with all 4 wheels on the pavement - dinghy towing, they call it. They pubkish a new list every year.

The FMCA site provides some information on towing including the list of towable vehicles from 2001 to 2005 based on the articles published in back issues of FMCA magazine? HERE

Note: Access to the back issue articles is available to FMCA members.

In addition to whether it can be towed, don't forget to consider how it will be used when not towing.  Need room for six people, ability to go over 4 wheel drive trails, carry lots of "stuff" ?  Need to use it as a family car in addition to a toad? Is your class A capable of towing the weight? I use a Tahoe 4 wheel drive which can be towed 4 down without restrictions. Push a couple of buttons on the dash, put it in park and away you go. don't have enough storage in the RV?  Lay down the rear seats and you have an enclosed pickup in which to stash all your collections. An added benefit is that it doesn't record milage when being towed. The downside is the weight of the Tahoe, but so far the pros and cons balance to the postive side.

Steve, don't forget you will also need to install some type of brake assist for your towed vehicle. I just ordered a Brake Buddy, I will be towing my lexus rx300 4 down with a remco pump. Good luck
cling 8)

Hey all, thanks for all the information you have given . every bit is extreemly helpfull.

Thanks so much, Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom