Towing Capable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I was in here, but we have been really attempting to deciede what to get. So now that we have looked at many MH and 5ths plus TT. We are now contimplating a travel trailer and towing it with a grand jeep that has a 4.0 liter 6 cyl. engine. The tow package states, 5000 gvwr on the sticker.
The trailer we are looking at is a 2006 Jayfeather Sport, unloaded weight is 2920 and the loaded weight is 3750.
Of course then we would have the tongue weight or hitch added to this.
Does this sound like there would be no problem in the vehicle towing this size trailer. And are there other things we need to consider.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Use this example and plug in the numbers for your Jeep and the trailer. Carl, one of our resident towing experts, will probbaly be along to read you the trailer towing equivalent to the riot act.

I believe the Grand Cherokee with the I6 engine is rated for 5000 lbs towing, as you say. That would put the Jay Feather well  within its capabilities.  You do not add the tongue weight to the trailer GVW nor subtract it from the towing capacity. However, you do have to count the weight of the hitch itself as part of the load the Jeep is carrying. A weight-ditributing hotch is recommended to better balance the load on the Jeep.

Steve said:
Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I was in here, but we have been really attempting to deciede what to get. So now that we have looked at many MH and 5ths plus TT. We are now contimplating a travel trailer and towing it with a grand jeep that has a 4.0 liter 6 cyl. engine. The tow package states, 5000 gvwr on the sticker.
The trailer we are looking at is a 2006 Jayfeather Sport, unloaded weight is 2920 and the loaded weight is 3750.
Of course then we would have the tongue weight or hitch added to this.
Does this sound like there would be no problem in the vehicle towing this size trailer. And are there other things we need to consider.
Steve

I agree with Ron.  To his recommendation of a WD hitch system, I would add anti-sway control.

Thanks all of you who responded, I have calculated the weight as suggested and found that the V-6 engine reguardless of it's size would wear out much faster in lew of a V-8, so we are looking at a 5.7 V-8 engine with low miles on it.
Thanks again

found that the V-6 engine reguardless of it's size would wear out much faster in lew of a V-8, so we are looking at a 5.7 V-8 engine with low miles on it.

The Jeep with the V6 is not rated for 5000 lbs towing either. Your original post specified the 4.0L I6.

I bought a V-6 TrailBlazer because it was rated to tow about 1500 more than top weight of the small trailer I bought. Towed the trailer home and went out the next day and traded for a V-8 Tahoe. It is rated to tow 8500.

You have to be careful with new 2007 vehicles because, by meeting government regs to get 22 mpg, they are rated to tow about 2000 less than the older models.

Back
Top Bottom