Towing Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkWagner

Hello, I have a 95 Ford F-150 XLT 4.9L V6 5 Speed manual transmission 4x4. Been searching for ever trying to figure out what its towing capacity is. Contacted Ford and they couldn't even give me a straight answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230602_081151.jpg
    20230602_081151.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
Need the axle ratio.

3.08 is 1,600
3.31 is 2,300
3.55 is 3,000

1995 Ford chart...
20230602_161349.jpg

Last edited:
3.55 it's 3,000 pounds for super cab 4x4. 3,200 pounds for the regular cab 4x4.

Last edited:
3.55 it's 3,000 pounds for super cab 4x4. 3,200 pounds for the regular cab 4x4.
Reading the manual in his pic, a standard cab 4x4 4.9L INLINE 6 (Not V6), 3.55 and manual trans, is 3500 lbs. However the OP needs to pay particular attention to the Gross Combined Weight Rating of 7800 lbs and the 60 square feet of frontal area.

Thats really sucky towing capacity. Will barely get you a Aliner, Casita, or some lightweight hybrid.

Charles

I suspect that the truck itself is capable of more as the automatic transmission version is rated at 5,300 lbs for a regular cab. Western Slope has the same issue with his Silverado (if I remember correctly).

I suspect that the truck itself is capable of more as the automatic transmission version is rated at 5,300 lbs for a regular cab. Western Slope has the same issue with his Silverado (if I remember correctly).
Yes, my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Cheyenne 5.0L extended cab with the 5 speed manual and 3.73-1 axle ratio is rated at 3,500 pounds. With 32" tires I've easily towed much more.

I thought that the XLT of the Ford meant extended length, so I thought it was the super cab. I learned something. It's just the luxury edition.

Trim level on fords go
XL base
XLT
LARIET
KING RANCH
PLATINUM

But there are variations within those levels ie you can get a lariet with a sun roof but deleted on a platinum
Led lights on a lariet but no masssage seat
No leds on a platium but massage seats
Or 5th wheel package on a xlt but not on a king ranch

Trim level on fords go
XL base
XLT
LARIET
KING RANCH
PLATINUM

But there are variations within those levels ie you can get a lariet with a sun roof but deleted on a platinum
I wonder what trim level I should buy, have never thought about needing a massage while driving, don't care what kind of lights are installed, never occurred to me it would be neat if I could see through the roof of my truck, I grew up rolling a window up and down and I'm still alive, I knew when I was too close to something to stop or slow down, ......is there an old guy with walking around sense trim level?

Trim level on fords go
XL base
XLT
LARIET
KING RANCH
PLATINUM

Sorry, I didn't know that massage seats existed.

I still own the same trucks in 45 years. My 1978 Chevrolet 1/2 ton has the optional AM radio. My 1998 Chevrolet 1/2 ton has 4x4 and an extended cab with no other options. Manual transmission in both and wind up windows. My 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4 has the Power Wagon option and nothing else. I wanted a manual transmission in it, but it's no longer an option.

I wonder what trim level I should buy, have never thought about needing a massage while driving, don't care what kind of lights are installed, never occurred to me it would be neat if I could see through the roof of my truck, I grew up rolling a window up and down and I'm still alive, I knew when I was too close to something to stop or slow down, ......is there an old guy with walking around sense trim level?
The led light package is worth every penny at night its bright white and gives lots of range conventional.lights buy comparison are very yellow and dingy

The led light package is worth every penny at night its bright white and gives lots of range conventional.lights buy comparison are very yellow and dingy

For off highway usage only LOL purchasing an aftermarket computer upgrade to have both the fog and high beams on at the same time is an additional plus for towing at night. It lights up the road while approaching dark mountain road corners.

Sadly, no. There's no money in that for the manufacturers.

That’s an example of creating a problem to sell a solution. Never in my 55 years driving has it ever occurred to me I wish someone would invent a headlight beam that isn’t so yellow and filthy. If it isn’t shining brightly enough I click it over to bright.

My 2000 Silverado had a max towing capacity of 5400#...because it was a manual transmission. If I had got the automatic, I would have had something like 7000#. I asked the head mechanic why and he told me it was because a lot of people who get manual transmissions think they know how to tow but they really don't. They tow in too high of a gear, or they start from a stop in 2nd gear, or some other nonsense, and they burn out the transmission. GM got tired of replacing manual transmissions under warranty so they just lowered the towing capacity. It's not that the truck couldn't tow 7000#, it's that GM didn't want it to.

Yes, my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Cheyenne 5.0L extended cab with the 5 speed manual and 3.73-1 axle ratio is rated at 3,500 pounds. With 32" tires I've easily towed much more...
At what expense to your K1500's health and performance over the long run I'm oft to wonder?

I know how many might see manufacturer weight ratings and specs at times more as guidelines than actual limits in the realities of the physics of wear 'n tear on a vehicle.

How one reasonably draws that line of demarcation between "it'll still handle it" and "whoops, I guess I overstepped my bounds" is something else I always puzzle over.

I suppose one answer is to assume that so long as it didn't come to a screeching halt, there was still some leeway left?

;)

The truck has 295,000 miles on it with no issues. It has the same tow, stopping, and suspension capabilities as the automatic transmission with much higher tow capacity. GM lowered the tow capacity due to some folks just burn up clutches.

I had a towing machine as my first towing vehicle. Chevy C-10, 292 ci inline 6, granny low and 4.10 axle. Came with a 1 barrel carburator and oil bath air filter. I would out tow and out climb 350 ci trucks uphill all day long. Got good gas milage too. I couldn't really go past 65 mph though.

Trim level on fords go
XL base
XLT
LARIET
KING RANCH
PLATINUM

I've been looking at Ford window stickers lately online by the hundreds in the last few weeks, and in reality there are only 3 factory trim levels as specified by Ford which you will see when researching their offerings.

XL is the lowest stock level trim offered, think company fleet vehicles and work trucks. The most basic of builds they offer.

XLT is the mid-level stock trim offered, which will add some upgraded features as to color choices and two-tone exteriors, some added chrome and also some upgrades to interior choices and functional accessories.

Lariat is the highest stock trim offered, which is where the greatest number of choices exist as to function, visual appearance and interior quality are available.

While it's true that you can also order vehicles as King Ranch, Platinum and Limited (as well as Cabelas, Harley-Davidson, FX4 and a few others even), all of those other "trim levels" are in reality only choices that are offered as factory optional packages to a stock Lariat trim. Many of the features you might order as accesories or as optional equiptment seperately on an XLT truck (upgraded tires, leather interior, moonroof, etc.) are included as standard when you move to these more luxurious trim option packages.

Which of course means added value from Ford's point of view which translates into higher prices both new and used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom