Towing Car AND Toys???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pineyfolks

Greetings--

We've considering the purchase of a motorhome.  A question about towing has us perplexed--

We are SeaDoo (jetski) fanatics.  We have a double ski tralier with a total weight of around 2300 lbs.  I just can't see trying to back a Class A home down a boat ramp and launching the Doos !!

We'd also like to tow a vehicle for running around town--- and launching the Doos.  Probably somthing like a small truck or SUV (8cyl)

We'd like to attach the Doos' trailer to the motorhome, then the vehicle. This way, we can use the truck w/o having to juggle the ski trailer around.

Comments ?  SUggestions ?

I have envisioned a Ski trailer that has a detachable car carrier/trailer-- dreaming am I ? *grin*

Thanks--

Hi Pineyfolks,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get all your questions answered.

What you are thinking of doing is called triple towing. It is not allowed in all states. I believe it also requires an additional endorsement on your motor vehicle license.

I would think one would have the vehicle attached to the motor home and then the trailer. It does make it difficult to use just the vehicle but I have not seen any trailer equipped to do what you want. Not saying it can't be done but I don't think it's commonplace.

You might also be over your allowed hitch weight if you add a vehicle. Many RVs have a 5000lb hitch. In some cases this can be beefed up. Many Diesel pushers come with a 10,000lb hitch and, some newer ones, have a 15,000lb hitch. Not sure I'd want to tow that much! :) Whatever you do DO NOT exceed the rating of your hitch!

If you try to put the car on a trailer you will have even more problems if you get into a situation where you must unhook. You would be better off to try to find a way to carry the SeaDoos in a pickup though I'm sure they are not easy to move around by hand.

There exists a trailer made for duplex hauling.  The trailer has two stories, with the car on the lower level and boats etc on the upper level.  I believe the upper level uses an electric elevator mechanism to lower the payload to ground level.

Not sure where it's made, but it could be in Canada  as I've seen several there. It is made with an open construction, so the payload is exposed..

Another option is to get a custom made trailer like the ones used by race car drivers.  These are enclosed trailers with the same elevator setup where two cars or other vehicles can be hauled ..one up and one down.

I used to tow a race car on a trailer behind my Class A MH. Had no problems backing up, just like backing up behind a truck but longer ;D

Pineyfolks said:
Greetings--

We've considering the purchase of a motorhome.? A question about towing has us perplexed--
We'd like to attach the Doos' trailer to the motorhome, then the vehicle. This way, we can use the truck w/o having to juggle the ski trailer around. SUggestions ?
I have envisioned a Ski trailer that has a detachable car carrier/trailerThanks--

Pineyfolks,
I saw this set up at a recent RV? rally in Eugene Oregon .? His? advertising material calls it? the? Ultimate toy hauler.? It can tow? both a boat/jet skis? and a car.? His web site? shows it well. www.deucehaul.com? It might offer a solution for you.

Betty Brewer

THanks to all for the quick replies !

Jim-- Moving the Seadoos by hand in and out of a truck bed is impossible unless you're The Hulk  :D.  They weigh in at around 920 lbs each.  The info on triple/double trailering is what I expected-- legal here and there.  I also got a comment about no agreements between states of registration as to being legal or not.

Betty-- Thanks for the note on the double trailer system  Neat idea......

Take care all--

==RON==

Pineyfolks said:
I just can't see trying to back a Class A home down a boat ramp and launching the Doos

Ron, belated response - I've been offline for a couple of days. FYI we towed a boat/trailer behind a class A for many years and backed down launch ramps with no problems. Should be the same for your SeaDoo trailer.

Back
Top Bottom