Towing Certain Cars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc24

I run into a problem here as I have two vehicles and considering tow one of them. A subaru AWD automatic and a Dodge Durango 4WD. Subaru says no tow unless all 4 are off the ground, Dodge says disconnect the drive line. What do you do here?

The Dodge web site says that the Durango has a "Full-Time 4WD Shift-on-the-Fly Transfer Case", which suggests there's no option to put the transfer case in neutral. If that's the case, you'll either have to do as Dodge suggests or use a tow dolly. Have you checked your user manual to see if there's a way to put the transfer case in neutral for towing?

I have heard from Subaru owners and only manual transmission models are towable 4 down. As for the Durango, if Dodge says you need a drive shaft disconnect, I'd go with it. We have a disconnect on our 4x4 XTerra and it is just as easy to setup or unsetup, and maybe even slightly faster (a couple of seconds), for towing as the Jeeps and other vehicles which supposedly are set for towing.

Tom and Bernie. Ok, thanks. Not sure if you can even use a tow dolly on the Dodge. The Subaru is a wash it looks like at this point. Haven't looked at the manuel for the Dodge yet. Can the 454 Chevy pull the Durango?

Tom: No, that makes sense. Maybe the answer is to find a small auto transport like the ones U-Haul rents out, but buy it instead. That way, I can get the Subaru off the ground.

gc24 said:
Maybe the answer is to find a small auto transport like the ones U-Haul rents out....That way, I can get the Subaru off the ground.

The challenge with any kind of trailer or tow dolly is having to deal with it when you get to a campground. In addition to having to man-handling it, there's the issue of somewhere to put it. Some parks just don't have room for it. Many folks do it, but I'd go with the disconnect before messing with a trailer.

Sorry, I replied to the wrong message. Please ignore.

gc24 said:
I run into a problem here as I have two vehicles and considering tow one of them. A subaru AWD automatic and a Dodge Durango 4WD. Subaru says no tow unless all 4 are off the ground, Dodge says disconnect the drive line. What do you do here?

Have you checked in the Owners manual for towing instructions.  Our Jeep GC and many other vehicles provide instructions for towing in the owners manual.  IT is my personal position that if it needs to be modified, other than the baseplate and lighting, to be towed we don't want it.  Having said that many folks to tow vehicles that otherwise couldn't be towed by modifying usually with Remco kits.  If choices are limited to either modifying as required to tow 4 down or use a tow dolly or a trailer there is only one reasonable choice do what ever to tow 4 down.  Trailers and tow dollies are nothing but a big pain in the-----.

I just checked the Motor Home Magazine web site for towable vehicles and it listed the Dodge Durango 4WD towable with no mods?  I know when the Durango first came out I checked into towing it and there was a neutral position on the transfer case, but the thing weighed 4300 pounds, so I decided to go with a Jeep GC.

gc24 said:
I agree. What about the Jeep Wrangler instead?

The Jeep Wrangler as well as the Jeep Liberty can be towed on all 4 with no Modifications to the drive system.? Instructions for towing are provided in the owners manual.? No limits on towing distance either.? Any 4WD Jeep will make a very good option for a Toad.

What year Durango is it?  I've talked to a number of  people who tow Durangos and I believe at least some of them do not require modifications.  Maybe the earlier models (1997-2001) had a different transfer case than the current model.  They are heavy, though, 4200 lbs or more.

Do you know the towing capacity of your motorhome and also its hitch rating?  Those may turn out to be the governing factors.

Think the Durango is heavier than the Jeep Periscope man?

towing an AWD car like a Subaru or an Audi (what I tow) has to be on a trailer. if not it will destroy the transfer case, transmission and other goodies.  i read a post of an Audi owner that had his car towed for a parking violation and it destroyed his car. 8k worth of damage.

I tow my Audi on an 18Ft trailer (wanted some room to grow!).  downside is that it adds about 2,000 lbs to your vehicle.  my 29' bigfoot ran at 5mpg from Colorado to Cape Cod MA this summer (ouch) at 20,000 gcvr.  the upside is I had more room to store stuff that would have been in storage like my bicycles, surfboards, wakeskate and  that sort of stuff.

I had to make a decision on whether I needed to buy a car to tow, or a trailer.  the car would be pretty cheap, but then i would have to manage another vehicle, insurance registration repairs, plus hitch costs.  trailer was about 2k with brakes.  i can carry a car, ATV's, motorcycles or snow mobiles on this thing.

Space at campgrounds.  i stayed at a dozen campgrounds this summer in August while on this trip and noone had an issue with the trailer.  some places i didnt need to take it off, only a few places i actually had to remove the trailer, but it stayed right next to my rig.  not a big deal.

bk

Depending on the MH and the trailer it might be possible to park the auto trailer UNDER the mh... I should add there is a tool, currently 40 bucks at Pep Boys, that makes manhandling the trailer a lot easier... It's major problem is where to put it when not using it  It's 2 wheels, a handle, some frame work and a small ball hitch, subs for the tow vehicle when you have to move the trailer manually  Very useful

I"ve seen them all over, somewhat better built, for a hundred bucks, but the 40 dollar one should be enough for up to about 2,000 worth of trailer if it's well balanced

Back
Top Bottom