Towing confused!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickM

Hey! I am new to the forum and new to towing. I spent most of camping seasonal. We bought a tow vehicle and now I am getting ALL the different numbers thrown at me for dealers to online and I am lost. So here it is:

Truck: 2003 F-250 SuperDuty SuperCab 4X4 5.4L V8, 4:10 Rear
The Book says 8,700lbs Towing Capacity RV Dealer says 9,300lbs.

Travel Trailer: 1998 Wilderness 29' with 14' Slide. Dry Weight 6,300lbs.

OK, Now I towed this last weekend without any problems. But We are looking to maybe upgrade to a new TT or perhaps 5th Wheel. But I cannot find a really good answer on what my truck will handle. Can you help, please.

Rick

Ford is not nearly as easy to navigate as Chevy

Go to www.fordvehicles.com and follow the links for towing and you will get the ratings for the 2007's, how to get ratings for older models I do not know unless you happen to have your owner's manual handy.  The tow ratings are in there.

Most folks toss said manual in the glove box, sealed in it's envelope, and never open it

RickM said:
Hey! I am new to the forum and new to towing. I spent most of camping seasonal. We bought a tow vehicle and now I am getting ALL the different numbers thrown at me for dealers to online and I am lost. So here it is:

Truck: 2003 F-250 SuperDuty SuperCab 4X4 5.4L V8, 4:10 Rear
The Book says 8,700lbs Towing Capacity RV Dealer says 9,300lbs.

Travel Trailer: 1998 Wilderness 29' with 14' Slide. Dry Weight 6,300lbs.

OK, Now I towed this last weekend without any problems. But We are looking to maybe upgrade to a new TT or perhaps 5th Wheel. But I cannot find a really good answer on what my truck will handle. Can you help, please.

Rick

Trailer Life's tables on their web site HERE give your tow rating as 8600 lbs with an auto transmission.  Your RV dealer is full of it.  You should not be pulling a trailer weighing more than 7,740 lbs in the east.  In the mountain west and Pacific Coast make that 6,880 lbs..  Dry weight is useless for evaluatiing tow ratings.  Use the trailers actually scaled weight as loaded for travel.  If that is not available use the trailer's GVWR.

As for the performance on a given weekend, that is little indication of how it what it would do to your truck over the long haul.  It probably did not give you a picture of how it would be have on a 10 mile long 6% grade at 8000 foot of elevation -- going up, or even more scary, going down.  Remember brakes are a part of tow rating. 

The question come to mind "If a dealership provides you with mis-information regarding what your vehicle is capable of towing, possibly placing your wife and friends or family safety in jeopardy, what else is he lying about?" I think I would look for a more honest dealer and let the liar know why I won't buy from him.

Thanks everyone very much. I thought the dealer was handing me a line. I do have the Book for the truck and it says 8,8600lbs. I just wanted to make sure the dealer wasnt lying and seems he was.

Again then you!!  Rick

Back
Top Bottom