Towing costs? - Recent AAA benefit changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skookum

We got our annual AAA policy renewal in the mail today which we bought to cover our (older) motorhome a few years ago. Towing costs scared me a bit, which is the reason I bought their RV Premier coverage, which provided up to a 200-mile tow.

The policy renewal states, in more words, they'll pay up to $500 per towing incident, and no more than $1,000 per year, maximum of 4 incidents/service calls per year. That is certainly a little different than giving me up to 200 miles of towing, regardless of what it costs.

I honestly have no idea what it costs to tow a motorhome, knock on wood. Any experiences?
AAA wants $214 to renew this year and I'm thinking about telling them to pound sand.

Our 34' Class A was towed about 12 miles last year off the NY State Thruway to a Ford truck shop. The Thruway is a restricted highway that only allows permitted tow operators and the tow arrangements must be made through the Thruway Authority dispatcher, not through our ERS plan. We paid $836 directly to the tow company, and were then reimbursed in full later on by our ERS plan. Again, that was a 12 mile tow...

There is typically a fixed charge for showing up with the truck plus a per mile rate. Think in terms of dollars/mile, so $500 doesn't go very far (pun intended). Prices have been sky-rocketing, though,so AAA is probably just trying to keep prices down for those with lesser needs.

If I had a largish motorhome or traveled widely, I'd be shopping for a different road service plan.

Coachnet is often the most highly regarded roadside service for RVs. There are many stories here of CN taking all reasonable measures to help a stranded RVer... sometimes over the phone, as they have RV techs available on the phone. Or if a tow is required, towing a rig to a safe location for a night, calling ahead to get permission from a business, and arranging a 2nd tow to a service facility the next morning that will be able to solve the problem. Just an example.

All of that depends on how often you'll be using your RV, and how far you'll be from home. Check with your insurance company's roadside option too, and see if it can be upgraded beyond the standard $100/10 mile allowance (or whatever it is). I have my trailer's roadside coverage set to "all reasonable costs" which my insurance agent gave me as an option. Another carrier I used in the past had an "unlimited" option when it came to towing cost and miles.

We got our annual AAA policy renewal in the mail today which we bought to cover our (older) motorhome a few years ago. Towing costs scared me a bit, which is the reason I bought their RV Premier coverage, which provided up to a 200-mile tow.

The policy renewal states, in more words, they'll pay up to $500 per towing incident, and no more than $1,000 per year, maximum of 4 incidents/service calls per year. That is certainly a little different than giving me up to 200 miles of towing, regardless of what it costs.

I honestly have no idea what it costs to tow a motorhome, knock on wood. Any experiences?
AAA wants $214 to renew this year and I'm thinking about telling them to pound sand.

Out auto insurance covers towing cost including on our 32ft class c motorhome for $10/year, no cap. Also covers roadside assistance under the same $10/year.

Another vote here for Coach Net, though FMCA and Good Sam might come close. CN provides so much more than just towing or changing a tire, including 24/7 tech support for trouble you might fix yourself with a bit of guidance, even finding help if something happens to not be covered -- more than once they've put me in touch with someone who could help for something they don't pay for. And the one charge is for all my vehicles, not just the motorhome.

Speaking of Coach Net and Good Sam, has anyone used the Good Sam travel assist, mainly pertaining to medical emergencies and getting your camper back to your home base too.

When I have actually had my rig towed it was 800 bucks. Winching out of a stuck condition was cheaper. Nationwide paid no problem (I pay the truck Nationwide usually has me a check within a week) The one time I used coachnet, and this is not on them but on the towing contractor, they send about half the truck needed... Not a problem as the RVer's strong mind made up for the tow truck's weak back and we got it done but I had to teach the driver how to do it.

I do not recall if that was the first time this Dispatcher had to teach the driver how to get the job done or the 2nd (Another time was with my daughter's car Driver bragged about all his experience but I'd have loaded the car faster and had no problem unloading it. he had problems both ways. )

I've got the FMCA roadside. The one time I was towed was about 80 miles. Signed my name on the line and that was it. Definitely worth the cost of admission.
Now, service at the Ford dealer they towed my too? A different kettle of fish.

Thanks for all the replies. What worries me the most is the potential to be on the hook for non-contract rates without an ERS plan. AAA seems to be going the "we help, you pay" route with its offerings, with no reduction in premium. I think that will ultimately be unfortunate for them.

I've googled some of the other major plans and will be making a switch. Thanks for adding your additional experiences.

Some other notes about CoachNet.
As somebody noted earlier, they ensure your in a safe place and will double tow if need be. They will find a shop that will work on your rig and tow you there, regardless of distance. (This a huge plus for us as we have a Navistar Maxxforce 10 engine and finding somebody willing to work on it (and has the software) isn’t easy.) No copay or deductible. During the tow I mentioned in Nebraska, the tow truck driver broke off one of our mirrors. ($1800 part, $300 labor). CoachNet covered that cost and sought reimbursement from the towing company.
(No, I don’t work for them... just a satisfied customer.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom