Towing In Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speedy

I've been reading a lot about towing a car behind a motorhome. After thinking about it for a while I decided on a tow dollie for my Mazda Tribute rather than buy a vehicle that can be towed 4 down.

I just went to the Florida D.O.T. office here in Ft. Myers.

The law DOES NOT REQUIRE brakes on the dollie. It also DOES NOT require any additional braking systems for the vehicle being towed if towed 4 down as long as it is not for commercial purposes.  Oter States may have different laws but at least in Florida it is not required.  My local RV dealer wanted to sell me a braking system for around $1,400 telling me it was THE LAW.    Needless to say I wont visit them again.

Although I understand it's a good idea to have the extra brakes........It's not the law in Florida.

That's ok if you stay in FL, but as you travel to other states, you will be required to have the braking system on the dolly.  You should have it just for safety, whether FL law requires it or not.

The law DOES NOT REQUIRE brakes on the dollie. It also DOES NOT require any additional braking systems for the vehicle being towed if towed 4 down as long as it is not for commercial purposes.  Oter States may have different laws but at least in Florida it is not required.

That doesn't say much for Florida Lawmakers IMHO.  The brakes on the coach are designed to stop only the maximum GVWR not the GCVWR.  Good common sense and concern over the safety of ones self and loved ones that are with him would dictate that axillary Brakes be use when towing.  Have you check to see if a break away system is required?  If so you need brakes on the vehicle being towed.

Ned has mentioned another point are you going to just travel in Florida?  Other states do have laws requiring aux brakes when towing and this is not covered under reciprocal agreements.

Speedy said:
...Although I understand it's a good idea to have the extra brakes........It's not the law in Florida.

I live in Florida and I'm not sure that you have received the correct information.  According to this website, Florida law says, "If towed vehicle weight exceeds 3,000 pounds, brake hook-ups required as well as breakaway system."

That's what I remember when I researched the topic last Fall.

I checked the Florida statutes...
TITLE XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

Definition of a trailer is such that it includes a car on a dolly or a car with towbar attached --
"(58)  TRAILER.--Any vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle. "

These laws are applicable to all vehicles as specified --
"316.261  Brake equipment required.--Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any combination of such vehicles, operating upon a highway within this state shall be equipped with brakes in compliance with the requirements of this chapter."

Brakes required on all "trailers" exceeding 3000 lbs.  Brakes not required on trailers under 3000 lbs IF they meet certain criteria --
"(3)  BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:
(a)  Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds, provided that:
1.  The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and
2.  The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262. "

Breakaway system required if over 3000 lbs --
"(4)  AUTOMATIC TRAILER BRAKE APPLICATION UPON BREAKAWAY.--Every trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer with air or vacuum-actuated brakes, every trailer and semitrailer with a gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds, and every pole trailer with a gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1972, shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels and of such character as to be applied automatically and promptly, and remain applied for at least 15 minutes, upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. "

Source.

Speedy I do believe you got some bum info.  I pulled a trailer while in Fl with my MH , a couple a years ago , for 6 miles.  It was a small trailer about 2 ton capacity and was stopped a mile from its destination, and the Trooper chewed me pretty good cuz if didn't have brakes.  Nop citation , but I never forgot it.  I think the only reason I wasn't ticketed was it was right after a hurricane and I was merely helping the guy out and almost there.  I didn't do it again.

KodiakRV said:
I live in Florida and I'm not sure that you have received the correct information.  According to this website, Florida law says, "If towed vehicle weight exceeds 3,000 pounds, brake hook-ups required as well as breakaway system."

That's what I remember when I researched the topic last Fall.

Guess the Florida lawmakers aren't so bad then.  ;D

Speedy may still be right. Apparently Florida excepts some things from the general rules when used for private purposes, so it is risky to quote a provision of the regulations out of context, no matter how clear it is. I ran into this when I inquired about driving licenses for large RVs. The general regulations clearly states that a higher class of license is required for vehicles over 26,000 lbs GVWR unless farm equipment traveling on local roads, yet the local DMV said my standard license was all I needed. I wrote to the DMV headquarters at the state capitol for clarification and got an official letter stating that "recreational vehicles in private use may be driven with a Class E license" (standard private passenger car license). I hunted the statutes again thereafter but never could find a section that defined that exception, but I kept the letter for many years as my "authorization".

I'm not saying this is the case for tow brakes - just citing a similar example of conflicting advice from official sources.

That is exactly what they said to me today on the phone. I started quoting the statue as posted by Kodiak and he stoped me mid sentence. The use of the word non commercial is the difference. If it's your car being towed by you, no additional brakes required.  As long as your not getting paid for towing the vehilce your within the law.

now..... I just saw a Roadmaster, the heavy duty model  WITH BRAKES/chains/adjustable tire straps, spare tire & mount/ and a set of magnetic tow lights for $1500.  It's one year old. Looks brand new. I think this guy used it three times and hated it.

Whattaya think ?????  A good deal ???? 

I think it is a good deal.  IMHO the most important thing is to put yourself and loved ones safety highest on the priority list and go with axillary brakes.

That's a good deal if you want a dolly - you get a top of the line dolly with all the good features & equipment. Used dollys generally sell at a steep discount, but you don't find ones like that all that often, so its worth the price.

Speedy said:
That is exactly what they said to me today on the phone. I started quoting the statue as posted by Kodiak and he stoped me mid sentence. The use of the word non commercial is the difference. If it's your car being towed by you, no additional brakes required.  As long as your not getting paid for towing the vehilce your within the law.

Is this the same person you talked to the first time?  I hope you wrote down his name and position.  You may need it.  I went through the statutes with a fine-tooth comb and the exception simply isn't there.  It says "Brake equipment required.--Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any combination of such vehicles, operating upon a highway within this state shall be equipped with brakes in compliance with the requirements of this chapter" and it says "BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels..." It says "every" not "commercial". 

I know it's not a requirement that laws make sense, but use your head -- what does getting paid for towing a vehicle have to do with whether you should have brakes capable of stopping the vehicle in an emergency?

RV Roamer said:
Speedy may still be right. Apparently Florida excepts some things from the general rules when used for private purposes, so it is risky to quote a provision of the regulations out of context, no matter how clear it is. I ran into this when I inquired about driving licenses for large RVs. The general regulations clearly states that a higher class of license is required for vehicles over 26,000 lbs GVWR unless farm equipment traveling on local roads, yet the local DMV said my standard license was all I needed. I wrote to the DMV headquarters at the state capitol for clarification and got an official letter stating that "recreational vehicles in private use may be driven with a Class E license" (standard private passenger car license). I hunted the statutes again thereafter but never could find a section that defined that exception, but I kept the letter for many years as my "authorization"...

Gary -- It took me about 10 minutes to find it...

[quote author=Florida DMV]
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 322
DRIVERS' LICENSES 

322.53  License required; exemptions.--

(1)  Except as provided in subsection (2), every person who drives a commercial motor vehicle in this state is required to possess a valid commercial driver's license issued in accordance with the requirements of this chapter.

(2)  The following persons are exempt from the requirement to obtain a commercial driver's license:

(a)  Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles.

(b)  Military personnel driving vehicles operated for military purposes.

(c)  Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery within 150 miles of their farm, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm.

(d)  Drivers of recreational vehicles, as defined in s. 320.01.

[etc....]
[/quote]

Of course maybe you were looking back before the Internet.  ;D

[Source]

Gary -- It took me about 10 minutes to find it...

That exemption refers to the need for a Commercial driving license and that was not the question (or at least not obviously so). The current FL statutes require a Class A or B license for a GVWR over 26,000  and the statutes do not specifically define Class A & B licenses as being commercial vehicle licenses.  FL License Classes  just says "a motor vehicle combination having a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more" and does not restrict itself to commercial vehicles only.  It's the same argument you make concerning the apparent brake requirement, i.e. it does not say anything about "commercial".  It may be that the Class A, B & C licenses are in fact issued only for drivers of commercial vehicles, but that is not apparent (to me) from the statutes.

My example was merely intended to point out that while one statute may require something, another one may exempt from it or specify an alternative or additional requirement. The commercial license exemption that you found is an example of that, where farm & recreational use is exempt from a broader requirement.

RV Roamer said:
That exemption refers to the need for a Commercial driving license and that was not the question (or at least not obviously so). The current FL statutes require a Class A or B license for a GVWR over 26,000  and the statutes do not specifically define Class A & B licenses as being commercial vehicle licenses.  FL License Classes  just says "a motor vehicle combination having a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more" and does not restrict itself to commercial vehicles only.  It's the same argument you make concerning the apparent brake requirement, i.e. it does not say anything about "commercial".  It may be that the Class A, B & C licenses are in fact issued only for drivers of commercial vehicles, but that is not apparent (to me) from the statutes.

My example was merely intended to point out that while one statute may require something, another one may exempt from it or specify an alternative or additional requirement. The commercial license exemption that you found is an example of that, where farm & recreational use is exempt from a broader requirement.

It seemed obvious to me that those were commercial licenses...
[quote author=Florida DMV]The State of Florida places commercial driver licenses into three categories:
Class A: trucks or combinations with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) that exceeds 26,000 lbs. If present, a towed unit should weigh more than 10,000 lbs.
Class B: trucks with a GVWR that exceeds 26,000 lbs.
Class C: vehicles transporting hazardous materials in amounts requiring a placard, or made to transport more than 15 people (driver included), with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.[/quote]

I don't disagree with you that one statute may exempt something from another statute.  I'm just saying that I went through all the available statutes covering motor vehicles and vehicle & personal licensing and could not find any exemption that excludes personal towed vehicles from having brakes.  I did find your license exemption with not much effort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom