Towing Jeep Cherokee-----Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzban

Okay...I jumped out and tried something very different.  I bought a Ready Brute, and Ready Brake system.  Time will tell how well it works.  It seems to be okay so far, but I have only driven it about 20 miles...more on that later.

My question is.....Jeep Cherokee  4 wheel drive, gear box in neutral, and transfer case in neutral to tow with four down?

THANKS!

You didn't mention the year of your Grand Cherokee.  the towing instructions can be found in the owners manual.  Basically the transfer case should be placed in neutral and the transmission in park.  2004 or older the key should be placed in the off unlocked position or one click from the run position away from the start position.  If 2005 or newer that have the ignition key on the dash the key should be place in the off position and removed.

Failure to place the transmission in park can result in transmission damage.

Ooopss...Sorry....The toad is a Jeep Cherokee Sport.  1996 vintage....Manual Transmission...

So I should have the transmission in FIRST?  The transfer case in netural?  First click of the key?  Will this put a drain on the Jeep battery?

THANKS>.....I am supposed to take this on my first real tow tomorrow morning!

THANKS!!!

The transfer case should be placed in neutral, manual transmission in second, and key in off unlocked position.  This insures the steering is unlocked and the electrical is off so no drain on the battery should occur.

It is always good to start the engine after setting the transfer case and transmission to insure Xfer case is in neutral by just releasing the clutch to insure no movement.

If you have an owners manual the instructions should be in there.

Have a great outing.

Thank you SOOOOOO Much.  I was always used to towing my camper, not the other way around! 

I will let everyone know how this Ready Brake / Ready Brute system works.  I am really interested to get it on the road for a real test.

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom