Towing Laws In Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsalhus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Posts
1,335
According to the Towing Laws for the state of Arizona, (see http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm), the width of a towing vehicle in Arizona cannot exceed 8 feet.? Does this mean that my motorhome (which is 8 1/2 feet wide) cannot travel on any roads in Arizona?? Is this ever enforced?? I can't believe that there aren't a zillion other motorhomes as wide as mine that travel throughout Arizona on a yearly basis!? What's the story here????
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
rsalhus said:
According to the Towing Laws for the state of Arizona, (see http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm), the width of a towing vehicle in Arizona cannot exceed 8 feet.  Does this mean that my motorhome (which is 8 1/2 feet wide) cannot travel on any roads in Arizona?  Is this ever enforced?  I can't believe that there aren't a zillion other motorhomes as wide as mine that travel throughout Arizona on a yearly basis!  What's the story here????

Many states have the 8' rule. Wider vehicles are usually allowed access to fueling stops and some campgrounds within a mile or so of the interstate. I doubt it is enforced actively but if you are ever involved in an accident you might have a problem.

The same applies for "triple towing". I've seen many triple tows in states that do not allow it and law enforcement has flown right by them. Again, an accident is when the law might come into effect.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,794
Location
Davison Michigan
One thing to consider is that many states allow 8 1/2 feet with for motor homes, and do not consider the towed to be a "Trailer" under the same rules as a pick up towing a 5-er or a regular TT. 

And most states exclude the mirrors from the max-width calculation

The key word in both statments is "MOST"

Give that web site, which clearly was written for folks pulling a TT or 5-er or other trailer, I'd need to read the actuall chapter and verse (Section and paragraph or seciton and sub section) before I could make a direct comment
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
John,

I think all states exclude "safety items" which mirrors fall under. A few years ago many were being stopped in, I believe, Montana because the awnings were over 8 1/2'. It appeared to be an isolated incident. Again most of these rules are not actively enforced until an accident occurs. I have a motorcycle I need to transport and am thinking about a platform that has a dollly wheel. This lessens the load on the hitch. Technically it is considered a triple tow but I doubt very much if anyone has been stopped. My only concern is I will be the one the finally catch!! :)
 

rsalhus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Posts
1,335
OK, so it sounds like I'm taking my chances by going to Arizona for the winter.  Honey, where's that atlas?  We're not going to Arizona, we're going to ________-.  (Fill in the blank.)  Where else does everyone go for the winter where it's warm and cozy?
 

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
2,966
Location
Camp Verde, AZ
rsalhus said:
OK, so it sounds like I'm taking my chances by going to Arizona for the winter.  Honey, where's that atlas?  We're not going to Arizona, we're going to ________-.  (Fill in the blank.)  Where else does everyone go for the winter where it's warm and cozy?

I think you would be hard pressed to find a newer motorhome in Arizona that isn't 8.5 ft. wide and I would guess that 80% or better of them tow a vehicle behind. I think you'll find that no matter what state you look up the vehicle laws in, you'll find an law that will keep you from going there if you want to be 100% legal. Most of those laws were written years ago and have never been updated.

Don't sweat it. Come to Arizona and enjoy yourself. Come to the Forum rally at Quartzsite in January and see what people are driving in Arizona. I've never seen a Arizona DPS officer with a tape measure in their hand.
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
rsalhus said:
OK, so it sounds like I'm taking my chances by going to Arizona for the winter.  Honey, where's that atlas?  We're not going to Arizona, we're going to ________-.  (Fill in the blank.)  Where else does everyone go for the winter where it's warm and cozy?

Go to Arizona!!! We've wintered there for about 7 years and have never had a problem Arizona would lose millions of dollars if they prevented 8 1/2' wide coaches from going where they want. I'd say over 50% of motor homes are now 8 1/2' wide.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,794
Location
Davison Michigan
Jim Dick said:
John,

I think all states exclude "safety items" which mirrors fall under. A few years ago many were being stopped in, I believe, Montana because the awnings were over 8 1/2'. It appeared to be an isolated incident. Again most of these rules are not actively enforced until an accident occurs. I have a motorcycle I need to transport and am thinking about a platform that has a dollly wheel. This lessens the load on the hitch. Technically it is considered a triple tow but I doubt very much if anyone has been stopped. My only concern is I will be the one the finally catch!! :)

Oh, I agree,  However I have not researched the laws in all states hence the qualifier.

I did (as a result of this thread) look up Michigan's law (Which resides on my hard drives) and it specifically excludes mirrors from the vehicle width calculation.. It also specifrically says Motor Homes can be 102 inches wide not counting things like the awning mounts which can stick out a bit farther on each side (I think it said six inches w/o looking) Exact text on request
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Hi John,

That's an interesting note on the awnings since they are not considered safety items. As we all know the laws from state to state are not consistent so we never know if we're violating one or not. Most of the infractions we might incur probably would not be checked by the law since they have much more important things to pursue. Accidents may be the only time someone might investigate an infraction.
 
Top Bottom