Towing Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randyf

I know the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid can be towed since it doesn't really have a transmission but was wondering if there are any problems with the battery going dead. 

There may be other issues towing a lincoln  Pay very close attention to the towing instructions which may or may not be in the owner's manual.

Some Lincoln models when towed on a FLAT BED tow truck (all 4 wheels off the ground) wind up with damage from towing... IF a step in the process is overlooked.

Since I do not have a Lincoln, nor did I ever drive a tow truck (Save once, empty, back to the yard when I worked as a dispatcher) I am not familiar with the step in teh process that gets forgotten.

No I'm talking about towing the MKZ behind a motor home, not behind a tow truck.  I have already had experience towing a ford fusion. Ford said it could be towed before I purchased it, then after following all their instructions I make it 150 miles before the transmission went up in smoke.  Few weeks later Ford decided they didn't actually test this enough and modified their owners manuals that only the hybrid could be towed. 

I tow a 12 mkz hybrid ...easier than my wrangler to set up! Blue ox base plate used and the "special" brake buddy the is designed for hybrids! Be sure to take the full time electric brakes into account...traditional supplemental brakes systems will not work...I also installed a wire harness from battery ..To this device http://www.amazon.com/Bully-TC-127-12V-Trailer-Adapter/dp/B001FZLE9K  using a 12 volt plug / wire harness  ...keeps the battery charged.

Thank you for the good information.  I went to amazon and seems they are out of the trailer adapter, In fact could not find it on any website when I did a search.  All said no longer available.  There is a TC-182 available.  I assume that would work too since it has multiple outlets.

I can wire a house but not too good with cars.  Do you just wire the 12 volt from the RV battery in paralled with the car battery?

I used a plug from west marine http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92986&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50543&classNum=50546#.UKcUH3y9KSM ...pm me with your e mail addresses or phone and I will be happy to walk you thru it. Joe

Can I tow a 2014 MKZ hybrid using a car dolly ? I have heard so many different stories. Manual only covers 4 wheel down.
Much appreciated
Ivan

As I understand it, the 2014 MKZ is indeed 4-down towable. Is that what your manual says?  if so, it should also be dolly-towable. FWD (front-wheel-drive) cars, even hybrids, are dolly-towable but often AWD (All Wheel Drive) are not.

You might want to call Lincon's Customer Service hotline and double check, just to be sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom