towing MGB 4 down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinoyfunk

Hello Forum members,
    I recently purchased a universal tow bar with the hopes of getting my little project car, MGB, towable. 

I have a few concerns maybe someone could address:

1) Pa law states - from what I could find, that a four down set up > than 3000 lbs. requires a breakaway system - am I to understand that if the towable weighs less than 3000 lbs. I don't need a brake system for the towed object?

2) The tow bar instructions state do not use a tow bar in conjunction with a pick up truck or van - there is not enough weight in the rear end of these vehicles - I figure keeping the tow bar level with a drop down draw bar and the spindly 2000 lbs unladen weight of the MGB would minimize the possible control concerns - I plan on towing it with a gmc sierra1500 extended cab - unless enough of you talk me out of it.

3) I have a pretty good Idea of how I want to design and weld up a base plate - If anyone has already done it, can you please share your experiences, drawings, and bill of materials list.

Any and all of you forum members inputs are welcome - thanks in advance

3)

Well  I do not know enough about your tow vehcle to know if it has enough weight or not, but you can always pick up the supplies needed to pour a nice concerte pad to park that mgb on  That would add some weight to the back side of the truck

As for a breakway system.. Or an aux brake system,  Laws vary from state to state (Texas it's 4,000 lbs for example, per Blue Ox) but the laws of physics remain the same...A towed vehicle braking system, which includes break away is a very good ideabbbb

I don't see a control problem with the truck and a 2000# MGB.  The truck is rated to tow trailers of several thousand pounds and I don't see the fact that the "trailer" is a car making any difference except that trailers of any significant weight will have brakes.  Your truck's owner manual probably has a statement about the maximum unbraked trailer load and I'll bet it is 1500 or 2000 lbs.  Most vehicles now state that the vehicle brakes are designed to handle the vehicle GVWR only, so look closely at what the combined weight of the truck (loaded for travel) and car will be.  You really should add aux brakes to the towed vehicle is anywhere near that limit.  Yeah, aux brakes are expensive, but so are accidents.  You can get a simple aux brake system for around $700; the better ones are upwards of $1100, even when you install it yourself.

pinoyfunk said:
Hello Forum members,
    I recently purchased a universal tow bar with the hopes of getting my little project car, MGB, towable. 

I have a few concerns maybe someone could address:

You should be able to tow the MG, but I have a concern or two. First, there isn't much clearance under the car and you could have issues entering parking lots, gas stations, etc. Second, you will have to pay particular attention to keeping the towbar level, you'll probably need a drop on the hitch. Having an out of level bar could have major impact on the handling and tire wear of the MG.

BernieD said:
there isn't much clearance under the car and you could have issues entering parking lots, gas stations, etc.

Bernie, that's a good reason for using a trailer, but the thought of having to deal with the trailer at a CG.

Back
Top Bottom