Towing Need to know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StormMo75

Currently living in a 2009 5th Wheel that has a GVWR of 14,000 and is 34 ft long (it’s stationary at the moment.) My wife and I plan on camping out of it once we have a house built. I currently have a 2018 F150 with 5.0 V8. I know my truck is not capable of pulling that so I will have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I’m new to towing 5th wheels so taking in all tips and advice on what I need to look for in a truck. Pin weigh, upgrades to have on the new truck etc

Preciate all advise in advance

Any 250/2500 series truck will be no better than your 150. What you need is a 350/3500 SRW.
14,000 GVWR will equal approx 3000 pounds pin weight. That is in addition to hitch and what ever else you add to the truck.
Far too many people look/buy the absolute most minimal vehicle to tow far too much.

A late model 3/4 ton would work for 14,000, but if you are buying and don't already have something, just go with the 1 ton. That will eliminate all questions. Here is a video of a 2020 Duramax "2500" towing a 16,000 trailer on a very tough towing test.https://tfltruck.com/2019/06/does-the-2020-chevy-silverado-hd-duramax-crush-the-new-ram-hd-cummins-on-the-worlds-toughest-towing-test-ike-gauntlet-review/

A late model 3/4 ton would work for 14,000, but if you are buying and don't already have something, just go with the 1 ton. That will eliminate all questions. Here is a video of a 2020 Duramax "2500" towing a 16,000 trailer on a very tough towing test.https://tfltruck.com/2019/06/does-the-2020-chevy-silverado-hd-duramax-crush-the-new-ram-hd-cummins-on-the-worlds-toughest-towing-test-ike-gauntlet-review/
Well Bill, towing is never the issue. At least in the GM line the 2500 and 3500 will have the exact engine, transmission and rear end. What will differ is frame, tires, wheels, springs, and the all important yellow sticker on the drivers door post. That is the federally mandated weights sticker, which cannot be altered.
When I could finally afford it I swapped my 2500HD D/A for a 3500 dually towing nearly the exact same GVWR fifth wheel. The only time I regretted the dually was when it came to tires. I realize a lot has changed over the years, that's why I suggested a 3500/350 SRW for the OP.

Pulling (rolling) the trailer is rarely a concern, though some owners may have strong feelings about how much perfromance is enough. A 14,000 lb 5W will have a pin weight (what the truck has to carry) of 3000-3500 lbs, and that's in addition to passengers & gear in the truck. That's a stretch for most 3/4 ton or SRW one-ton trucks. Not every one will come up short on payload (cargo carrying capacity), but many will. The net is that you cannot generalize that a 3/4 ton is or is not OK - you need to get down to the configuration details.

Well Bill, towing is never the issue. At least in the GM line the 2500 and 3500 will have the exact engine, transmission and rear end. What will differ is frame, tires, wheels, springs, and the all important yellow sticker on the drivers door post. That is the federally mandated weights sticker, which cannot be altered.
When I could finally afford it I swapped my 2500HD D/A for a 3500 dually towing nearly the exact same GVWR fifth wheel. The only time I regretted the dually was when it came to tires. I realize a lot has changed over the years, that's why I suggested a 3500/350 SRW for the OP.
I too suggested the 3500 SRW, but pointed out that the 2500 would LIKELY be alright also and included a test video of a 3/4 ton pulling and STOPPING a 16,000 trailer on the Ike Gauntlet to emphasis that point. The new Duramax 2500's have a useful load of about 3,400 to 3,500. Enough, if you load carefully, for a 14,000 trailer with a pin of about 3,000.
I think you will find that the frame, tires and wheels are the same for 2500 and 3500 in SRW, with the rear overload springs on the 3500 being the big difference. I read that the rear end is also a bit difference in the 2500 on newer models. On older models, in GM at least, the only difference was the overload spring.
But, in any case, to make a statement that a 2500 would be no better than a 1500 is very misleading to say the least.

Last edited:
Is as you say GM is making the 2500 and 3500 essentially the same, then why are they selling both?

a 1 ton is cheaper to insure here in Canada - mostly because the people that buy them usually use them for towing larger units and are more responsible - 2500s are bough by people that dont know better and wreck them (by overloading them or by young kids putting lift kits and bigger turbos and wrecking them). my insurance company told me that i laughed

That video is of a gooseneck horse trailer- THERE IS NO WAY YOU SHOULD USE IT AS A COMPARISION . your comparing apples and oranges. That horse trailer is designed to carry its weight in the back with 6 1500lb horses and hay in the rear. Which is why the axles are so far back
A 5th wheel travel trailer will put way more on the pin. And the axles are more centered with weight towards the front.
Living quarter goosenecks usually have a loaded pin under 20% of gvwr so 3200 on a 16000gvwr horse trailer
25% on a fithwheel of 14000 is 3500lbs plus 200lbs hitch = 3700 lbs
Total Horse s**t

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom