Towing Our 96 Ford Windstar Mini Van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


Active member
Feb 12, 2006
Hey gang,
I have been reading your answers to towing vehicles, my question is: I am aware that I need an axel lock and most likly need a brake buddy also but is that all i will need. The van is auto trans. front wheel drive.
Blue Ox told me I do need an axel lock but he said I would have to contact Remco for cost. Having difficulty getting hold of Remco as they are closed by the time I get off work.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Feb 2, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
Any Remco dealer can help you with prices and installation. Go to the web site and look at their Deealer Network for an installer near you. You can also request information via an electronic form on the site (Consumer Request).

You need a tow bar and hitch on the towing vehicle, usually a standard Class IV receiver (class depends on weight). There are a variety of tow bar types at different cost levels - the Blue Ox brand is excellent and so is Roadmaster.  The tow bars are standard configurations but each needs an adapter to fit it to a particular vehicle. That is called a base plate.  You will also need wiring for tail, brake and turn lights on the car, so that its lights (or an auxiliary set of lights) wrk in conjunction with the tow vehicle's stop, tail & turn lights.  And definitely an auxiliary brake, whether it be a Brake Buddy or one of the excellent alternatives.
Top Bottom