towing vehicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brysondrive

Hi, this is a subsequent question to one I asked awhile ago ( tow be or not tow be ), before I get into the question I would like to say how informative this site is. Being new to this 'sport'and therefore knowing absolutely nothing about it, I find there is a lot of valuable info and very willing and experienced people giving their advice that was earned by doing. I sure lucked out when I found this forum.
The answers to my orginal question about towing, trailering or dollying a daily vehicle, came back as a resounding victory for towing, all wheels down!
What is the criteria for the vehicle that is to be towed, it appears only certain types fit this catergory and why is that? I want to purchase a vehicle like a BMW X3 or X5, Porshe Cayanne however from what I have seen in this forum, its Trackers or Luminas. Does it matter if it is a standard or automatic, four wheel drive ( we have a Buick AWD Rendevous, can that be towed ), front wheel drive??Is it l about the vehicle having the proper frame to attach the towbar to?
I have seen from GMC 1/2 ton pickups to Mercedes being towed.
Sorry for so many questions.
We are picking up our Dutchstar in April, it is in Apache Junc, AZ and are really looking forward to the trip to our home in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. We were in Las Vegas last month, rented a car and drove AZ to see our RV. It was good to check it out and 'start her up'!!

Thanks for yur help
Ric Bolivar ;)

When you find the vehicle you want to consider call Remco and ask if it can be towed.  If your prospective vehicle cannot be towed without modification Remco may offer a solution.

Ron gave you some good advice.

Generally speaking, most automatic 2-wheel drive vehicles cannot be towed without some modification, but there are exceptions. If they can be towed, the owners manual usually tells you what the limitations are. 4-wheel drive vehicles that have the ability to put the transfer case in neutral can usually be towed. I have no idea about AWD vehicles because I've never owned one or tried to tow one. Manual shift vehicles can usually be towed.

Again, as Ron said, check your individual vehicle with the folks at http://www.remcotowing.com.

What are the requirements.... Basically it's check with the manafadcturer and see if they allow towing.

Manual transmission cars you generally need to put them in nuteral (or put a transfer case in nuteral on a 4x4) and possibly disconnect/disable to odometer

Automatics: Some are desigened to be towed others need help

My 1992 Lumina is of the "needs help" categroy so I called Remco and installed a device they sell (or rather caused it to be installed) so now when I hook uip I twist a collar and my Lumina is a trailer, all wheels spin free save for a bit of drag on the left front (very little) transmission is in PARK when I tow and odmneter does not move

With REMCO products... Most anything can be towed up to the limit of your towing vehicle (You can not, generally,tow a Hummer original.... The vehicle is towable, but overweight for many motor homes)

Manual transmission cars you generally need to put them in nuteral (or put a transfer case in nuteral on a 4x4) and possibly disconnect/disable to odometer

Automatics: Some are desigened to be towed others need help

I might add that a 4WD with a manual transfer case and automatic transmission can generally be towed four down after shifting the transfer case to neutral.?

That said the manufacturer's guidelines on towing rule and Remco advice should be sought for towbar setup and braking systems at least.

No matter what vehicle you buy, you can always tote it behind.  Sometimes you have to change you way of thinking as we did.  Wife won't drive anything but a Lincoln, guess I spoiled her, or she did me.  So not being able to 4 down without the levelers inside,  Dolly came about and sure didn't care for that. so next we use our open trailer.  Now we've gone an enclosed 24' carhauler.  Figured might as well get one large enough so I can carry my tools and goodies along. So change the hitch, reinforced the frame and now she runs down the road as smooth as a baby buggy. Sure others have tried different methods until the came across something they were comforable with.  It's all in what you want and are willing to pay for. But if you can 4 down, I'd bet most would go for that.  Happy motoring.

You can get lists of towable cars on the Motorhomer Magazine website - they publish a list every year.  See www.motorhomemagazine.com and look for "Dinghy Towing".  FMCA publishes a list too, but you have to be a member to view it on their web site (www.fmca.com). By the way, I heartily recommend that you join the FMCA - its a great organization for motorhomers and the magazine alone is worth the annual dues.

The dinghy towable list covers only those vehicles which the manufacturer approves of towing without any modifications. Quite a few more vehicles can be modified for towing, which is where Remco comes in.  See www.remcotowing.com

Thanks very much to those who replied!!

The Remco site was awesome.

I will try the other sites suggested too!!

Ric :)

Back
Top Bottom