Towing vs car rental at destination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbc66

My wife and I are in the early stages of purchasing a class c rv.  One area of concern is getting around once we reach our destination.  Neither of our cars are built for easy towing so one consideration is buying an older car just for towing but that does not seem to make a lot of sense as it would one more item to store off site from our home--deed restrictions!  Most areas are we would travel pass through or near cities where we could rent a car.  Just wondering if anyone out there has done that and could give me some pros and cons.  Not sure how much towing a car cuts the fuel mileage of the RV but that savings could go towards the cost of a rental.  Appreciate any ideas and thoughts.

Lot of factors you have to consider.  If your only going to be camping a few times a year,  renting would be an option.  If you are going to be staying a campgrounds near city's or town, the same.
If your going to be out alot, and changing locations frequently, than towing would probably be more economical.  Also, if your going to be camping in rural areas, there might not be a rental place redily available.  Lots of really nice campgrounds are off the beaten track, maybe several miles from small towns that have no rentals available.
Solution might be to get rid of one of your "un-towable" vehicles and get a veh that you can tow and use as a daily driver.  We have a class c and we tow a Subaru Crosstrek.  Personally, we would not run without the toad...it's just too darn convienant.  Nice to be able to hop into the Subi and run all over sight-seeing, or just running up to the store.
As far as milage, towing may cut down 1 mpg or so, but that also depends on a lot of factors.  Our Lexi is a 30 footer, and milage, towing, varies between 7 and 9 mpg.  Depends on speed limit, up or down hill, wind behind me or what direction the birds are flying.  Don't really don't care as we didn't buy a 12,000 pound box on wheels to worry about gas milage.  Poor gas milage is just a fact of life with an rv.
Grumpy

The mechanics of renting a car, finding and getting to the rental site and repeat on return are what would stop me. If a rental was available at campground, great, but I have never seen it in my travels.

Financially it makes sense to rent as long as you will be near cities that offer rentals. But the hassle of getting and then dropping off a vehicle on each trip would outweigh the financial aspect, in my opinion. That's where "how often" comes into play.

You asked if people do this, and the answer is yes, at least a few do. I suspect most don't do it for very long - I see comments about people buying toads after having a coach for a season or two, but I don't have any data on how many or how long they do it.

My best advice is toi try it and see how it goes. You can always buy a toad later, or get one of your cars modified for towing.

we just rent a car from a nearby city and never at the airport where there are extra fees.  I don't have to pay insurance, car payment, or maintenance.  We have two all wheel drive cars that are not towable and don't want to get rid of them.  In the future we might replace one of them with a 4 down towable but I drive the cars a heck of a lot more than I do the MH and want the comfort of a full size Yukon and Mercedes sedan

Thanks for all the ideas and information.  If we do pull the trigger on this, we may just try the rental thing for a while until we get used to driving the RV.  But in the long run, I do agree a TOAD makes sense.  But not sure who would win the war if we got rid of a car--my wife loves her Beetle and I love my Mustang!

I've done both but I usually tow.  It really depends on your destination(s). We bought a low mileage Ford Focus and tow dolly.  We live on 5 acres so storage is not a problem.  I think the idea of getting a towable to replace one of your currents cars is the best idea.  If I didn't have the room to store that's what I would have done.  I drive a Class C and don't really see much of a change in gas mileage.

While it's certainly done, I'm not a fan of vehicle rentals for pleasure use, sightseeing, etc.  I have, and do, rent vehicles for business but that's a different set of circumstances.
If you read a standard rental agreement from the major renters (National, Hertz, etc.) the exclusionary rules are restrictive. You have few rights, coupled with your credit card they have on "hold" to charge additional costs, damages, etc. as they see fit.
To rent something in your situation, you might consider a full-up trailer such as this to use temporarily while you ultimately decide how you want to roll. I would think it's under the weight restriction for your class C.

I'm apparently one of the few people here who does the car rental thing, but it works for us. Renting probably won't work for full timers or those who just wander about. Because we're still working and we need to count vacation days, our trips are planned pretty closely and renting a car is sometimes part of that planning.

I always book the rental car in advance. If we're staying somewhere that Enterprise will deliver to, we'll use therm. Otherwise, we'll grab the car on the way to the campground or rally site. I'll shop around, looking for the best deal: AARP, BJs, and a couple of others we have. I've had good luck with free upgrades and combining discounts when picking up cars. The store managers have lots of discretion on giving discounts, you just need to ask.

We've had fun renting different types of cars that we'd never think of buying, and put thousands of miles of wear and tear on cars that someone else has to maintain. Again, rental doesn't work for everyone, but it is an option.

Tried renting once. Got to our campsite on a Friday and called the Enterprise rental place to come pick me up. 

Sorry, we're shorthanded today. No can do.

OK I'll get a ride to town and pick it up...and then I'll return it Sunday. Can you take me back to my motorhome Sunday?

Sorry, we're closed on Sunday. 

End of story.

When we first began traveling with our prior coach we opted to rent a car. Always used Enterprise. They pick you up and bring you back to you RV when you turn in the vehicle. One suggestion I have though, is if you can well in advance and reserve a vehicle so they have what you want when you get there. JMHO. I never had a problem with them. Good Luck!

You said neither of your cars is built for easy towing, Assuming you do not drive Large SUV's  have you visited the REMCO Towing site to see what is needed to make your car towable?

Also,  what is the towing capacity of yoru "C"

(The lesser of the difference between max CGVW and actually weight,  and the hitch rating (often 5 or 10 thousand)

If you have the tow cap,, Trailer.

Thanks Gary and John.  I will check that out.  I guess I should have said neither of my cars is towable as is without some modifications, etc. 

BinaryBob said:
While it's certainly done, I'm not a fan of vehicle rentals for pleasure use, sightseeing, etc.  I have, and do, rent vehicles for business but that's a different set of circumstances.
To rent something in your situation, you might consider a full-up trailer such as this to use temporarily while you ultimately decide how you want to roll. I would think it's under the weight restriction for your class C.
I've never had a problem renting a car for either business or pleasure.

Just checking the rental prices for the U-Haul trailer you mentioned, and found the $54.95 per day rental fee to be a bit more expensive than a small rental car would cost in most locations........

Auto Transport

Auto Transport

Ideal for long distance moves.

Towing vehicle requirements:

All towing is subject to inspection. Because motorhome design features such as rear overhang length, frame extender design and rear suspension can limit towing capabilitiy, it cannot be assumed that motorhomes have towing capacity reflective of their size. Motorhome tow ratings and hitch must be verified, including if hitch is attached to frame extenders. Lowest tow rating capabilities for the motorhome must be used.
You will need to have a U-Haul location verify your towing vehicle's hitch system before hooking up U-Haul equipment to this vehicle. Refer to the rating labels found on the towing vehicle's hitch, ball mount and ball to determine the maximum load weight carrying capabilities for your hitch system (FYI: When you look for this rating on these labels be sure that you refer to the maximum weight carrying rating and not the maximum weight distribution rating). See a local U-Haul center for assistance.
Towed vehicle requirements

All towing is subject to inspection. You will need to contact a U-Haul location to schedule a vehicle pre-tow inspection prior to the rental.
OVERSIZED TIRES OPTION - If the supplied wheel straps on the trailer cannot be used with the cargo for any reason, including oversized tires (more than 30 inches actual diameter) or vehicle clearance, you are responsible for supplying your own tie-downs to properly secure the load.
Check the vehicle being pulled for oversized tires to ensure that the vehicle's width does not exceed the auto transport width capacity.
Check the vehicle being pulled for running boards to ensure that the vehicle's width does not exceed the auto transport width capacity.
Watch vehicle clearance when loading/unloading.
$54.95

This towing combination will work with your setup.

Greetings,

Here is another post on the same subject for more reading.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,72982.msg664432.html#msg664432

I was considering doing the car rental thing when we go to Texas next year since we'll be very close to a major city for the week that we'll be there, but I am torn. I really like having my Jeep at my convenience 100% of the time. But there is a major convenience in not towing.

My Class C feels the toad a bit, it is not an overwhelming load by any means, but it is a load. I try to keep my Jeep as light as possible when we are towing it. It is down to its curb weight + a 100# tool box while in tow.

My Class C feels the toad a bit, it is not an overwhelming load by any means, but it is a load.

My class C for sure feels the toad. However, in all fairness to the discussion, my Jeep is HEAVY. It is a 2004 Rubicon with a custom front bumper/winch mount, 4.5 inch long arm lift kit, roof rack, rack over spare, and 33" tires.

It is nice having it when we need it, but anytime you are on the interstate with the cruise set, the Ford programming on the cruise is well aware it is back there. As a matter of fact, we are leaving in a couple of days to do D.C. and the Blue Ridge Parkway and we are leaving the Jeep at home. The MH is 28', and is short enough, I feel, to not be restrictive in terms of where we go. We are planning on the Hop-On Hop-Off buses for the D.C. bit.

Bill

cbc66 said:
My wife and I are in the early stages of purchasing a class c rv.  One area of concern is getting around once we reach our destination.  Neither of our cars are built for easy towing so one consideration is buying an older car just for towing but that does not seem to make a lot of sense as it would one more item to store off site from our home--deed restrictions!  Most areas are we would travel pass through or near cities where we could rent a car.  Just wondering if anyone out there has done that and could give me some pros and cons.  Not sure how much towing a car cuts the fuel mileage of the RV but that savings could go towards the cost of a rental.  Appreciate any ideas and thoughts.

You say neither of your cars are built for easy towing.I'm not sure what you mean by that as you can tow just about any vehicle on a tow dolly.We used one for several years and got along great. It may not be as simple as flat towing but it sure gives you the ability to tow a wider selection of vehicles than flat towing does....Alan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom