Towing with 06 Saturn Vue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

I'm only asking here because of the breadth of knowledge that is here. I am NOT looking to tow an RV with a Saturn Vue. Just a very small cargo trailer. So, you can all breathe easily now. :cool:

Specs for the 06 Vue V6 AWD state it will pull 3500 lbs IF EQUIPPED WITH TRAILER BRAKES. Most 5 x 8 or 5 x 10 covered cargo trailers (900 - 1100 lbs lbs empty) do not come with trailer brakes, and most are under 3000# gvwr because of laws in some places requiring trailer brakes for trailers over 3k gvwr. I can't find any information for ratings for the 06 Vue WITHOUT trailer brakes. I also cannot find any 'rule of thumb' to derate that 3500 lbs when trailer brakes are not used.

The covered cargo trailer in question will be used in a small lawn-care business to haul mowers, trimmers, rakes, gas cans, etc. I doubt it will ever get up to its 2990# load limit, but....

The Vue and cargo trailer will only be used in town, and over distances not much greater than 5 miles at a time. I'm thinking that the Vue will be fine pulling this setup around town, even if the trailer doesn't have trailer brakes. Anyone concur?

Thanks.

Frank.

In my state I believe that a trailer that grosses over 2000 must have brakes. If you think you need to ask, then I would err on the side of caution. My answer might be different if the TV was a full sized pickup with more capacity. Remember that when some people see a trailer they think "I would rather cut this guy off and get in front than get stuck behind him"

Specs for the 06 Vue V6 AWD state it will pull 3500 lbs IF EQUIPPED WITH TRAILER BRAKES. Most 5 x 8 or 5 x 10 covered cargo trailers (900 - 1100 lbs lbs empty) do not come with trailer brakes, and most are under 3000# gvwr because of laws in some places requiring trailer brakes for trailers over 3k gvwr. I can't find any information for ratings for the 06 Vue WITHOUT trailer brakes. I also cannot find any 'rule of thumb' to derate that 3500 lbs when trailer brakes are not used.
The brakes on any vehicle are rated to stop it adequately only when the total weight is at or under the GVWR. Therefor the Vue GCWR (combined car & trailer weight) becomes the same as the Vue GVWR if the trailer has no brakes of its own. So weigh the Vue with you and typical passengers & gear in it and subtract from the GVWR and that's your max safe trailer weight. I'll leave it to you to decide the risk if you are a bit over that limit. The greater the combined weight, the longer the stopping distance gets. That's not a problem until something gets in the way...

For a quick estimate before you get to the scales, look at the weight placard on the driver doorpost of the Vue. It should show a max payload or cargo capacity. That's essentially the difference between an empty Vue and its GVWR. The trailer should be somewhat less than that to allow for driver & passengers.

From what I see online, a typical 2006 Vue has an empty (curb) weight around 3500 lbs and a GVWR of 4894. That might allow for an unbraked trailer around 1200 lbs plus a 190 lb driver. High trim levels will be heavier and base trims lighter.

Last edited:
The brakes on any vehicle are rated to stop it adequately only when the total weight is at or under the GVWR. Therefor the Vue GCWR (combined car & trailer weight) becomes the same as the Vue GVWR if the trailer has no brakes of its own.

That makes sense, and is what I eventually defaulted to when I could find nothing else. After all, if the Vue can CARRY x amount of weight, it can most certainly pull / stop that same amount.

Brakes on the Vue are not its long suit, being disc / drum. Excellent for one-time stops and parking on a hill, but prone to overheat / fade if done repeatedly. But to foreknow is to be forearmed.

Thanks again, Gary, for the practical advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom