Towing with a class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mopic

I ma new here, I have a post in the introduce yourself area..... Long story short I am seriously considering at least half timing starting summer 2010. Anyway, I am curious about what people are towing with class A's. I have seen people on the highway with a tow dolly that lifts the front axle, full size car carriers and six by nine ( or so) trailers. I have also seen motorcycles mounted on a rack bolted to the rear.  So I guess my question is: If you full time in a class A, do you tow a vehicle or not have a separate transport or maybe keep a golf cart or a motorcycle in a trailer. Please enlighten me as to what people are doing.

Most people have found that towing a vehicle 4 down is the best solution.  Tow dollies, trailers, etc. create more problems than they solve, as well as being added weight to tow.  There are a lot of vehicles that can be towed 4 down so there is something for everyone.

Thanks Ned,
I would assume you would have to find a vehicle that can be towed 4 down as I have heard horror stories about having to disengage the drive shaft and stuff.

Mopic:
I recently bought a a 40' DP....I bought a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara.  It can be towed 4wheels down.  Not all cars can be however.  Mine is automatic, 4wd, and fairly light (3500 lbs).  A friend of mine tows a large Chevy Taho.  You just need to be sure that whatever you chose it can be towed 4 down.  Many times the manual trans version can and the automatic cannot.
Good luck!!

All of the Jeep 4WD vehicles can be towed 4 down with no modifications to the drive train and the towing instructions are included in the owners manual.  There are other vehicles like the Grand Vitara that can also be towed but with some speed or distance restrictions.  If you have questions regarding vehicle towability Remco are considered the experts as to what vehicles can be towed and what mods if any are required.

Your right Ron, the Grand Vitara does say that you should stop about every 200 miles and run the engine for a few minutes to lubricate everthing.  I know there are some recommended vehicles that do not require you to do that. 

While there are many vehicles that can be towed 4 down without modification, there are also many that can be towed with some modification; a transmission lube pump or drive shaft disconnect.  There is nothing horrible about these modifications and Remco is the authority on these modifications.  If you have a vehicle that can be towed with one of these mods and you don't want to exchange it for something else, it's worth considering.

mopic said:
I would assume you would have to find a vehicle that can be towed 4 down as I have heard horror stories about having to disengage the drive shaft and stuff.

As Ned mentioned, Remco can advise about towing solutions for the car you want to tow. Of all the 4WD vehicles we looked at, nothing in our opinion compared to the Nissan XTerra automatic, but it was not towable. We had a Remco drive shaft disconnect installed and it has worked perfectly for over 5 years. The only horror story I had with it was when I did a very rugged nite off road trip, hit a rock and broke the disconnect collar. Remco built and had a replacement to my dealer in 2 days.

teofff said:
Your right Ron, the Grand Vitara does say that you should stop about every 200 miles and run the engine for a few minutes to lubricate everthing.  I know there are some recommended vehicles that do not require you to do that. 

I owned two Grand Vitaras, a '99 and'04. The first I drove for 82,000 miles and towed over 55,000 miles. Only had one small problem that had nothing to do with towing. As far as restrictions, I never paid attention to the 55mph max speed. I personally think that's a CYA for the manufacturer and might only have to do with the ability to stop quickly due to the extra weight. Again, MY personal opinion.

I did stop every 200 miles or so and run the engine with the transmission in drive. Not a problem and I was ready for a break after 200 miles! The ONLY reason I traded the second GV was to get a pickup so I could take my new motorcycle with me. I miss the GV! It will do most off roading you might want and will tow so well you won't know it's there. 

There is one individual on the forum that had a '99 GV and never stopped to run the engine. As far as I know the car was in fine condition when he traded for a larger vehicle.

Motorhome magazine just published it's 2007 tow vehicle guide that tells you what's towable.  Sorry I can't tell you the issue because it's in the form of a tear-out.  It got torn out and the magazine itself is gone!

ArdraF

Don't need the magazine itself, Ardra. Motorhome Magazine publishes the dinghy towing guide on their website and keeps several past tears of Dinghy Guides there as well.

Thanks, Gary.  Didn't realize they have it online, but it makes sense.

ArdraF

Do you think a 350 hp CAT with 860 lbs of torque should have a problem towing about 5000 lbs ? The hitch capacity is 10,000 lbs. The GVWR is 32,000 lbs, the GCWR is 42,000 lbs. The MH is a 40 feet Tiffin Phaeton. The bus has a CAT 400 hp, with 1200 lbs of torque, but is more expensive by 50K. Gilles

Giles said:
Do you think a 350 hp CAT with 860 lbs of torque should have a problem towing about 5000 lbs ? The hitch capacity is 10,000 lbs. The GVWR is 32,000 lbs, the GCWR is 42,000 lbs. The MH is a 40 feet Tiffin Phaeton. The bus has a CAT 400 hp, with 1200 lbs of torque, but is more expensive by 50K. Gilles

I would think you should be able to tow that weight but the mountains will slow you down. Remember the bus has other features the Phaeton doesn't. One is they use real wood throughout. The Phaeton isn't all wood. That adds weight hence the larger engine. I haven't seen a bus so I don't know what else may be different but there will be some additional items. Check the brochures carefully. I have driven several Phaetons and like the ride.

Thanks, this is reassuring.
Both have laminated floor, sidewall and roof, and have steel/aluminum reinforced structures.
By the way,  there any advantages to hydraulic leveling jacks instead of electric jacks, if both are automatic ? Hydraulic cost
$ 700.00 more.  Giles.

Giles,

I don't know if anything has changed since summer but the electric jacks were a big problem. I work part time at a dealership that sells Allegro up to the Phaeton. We have had several Phaetons come back for jack problems. If I were to order a Phaeton I would most likely go with the hydraulics. Now this is my personal opinion not to be misconstrued as a dealership decision. :) I do not know which hydraulic system Allegro would be using.

The Phaeton has standard Atwood electric automatic leveling jacks, and HWH hydraulic jacks as optional.
The 40 feet Bus has standard electric jacks, no mention of Atwood or others, and optional HWH hydraulics, the 42 Bus has standard HWH jacks.
I don't know what HWH stands for.

Giles,

HWH is the company that makes the jacks. They have been around for some time. I expect their jacks would be more reliable than the electric jacks but anything can happen in the RV world. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom