Towing with a half ton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckEM4

Hello all,
We’ve been shopping for a trailer for a few months and really like this 22MKSE from Forest River. I seem to see a lot of different answers on half tons. My truck is a 2014 GMC 1500 6.2L. Thoughts on being able to safely tow this trailer?

Towing capacity: 9600
Brake controller: yes

UVW: 4341
Hitch weight:
Length: 26’

thanks in advance!

Unloaded weight means nothing as nobody travels with an empty trailer. Whats your Gvwr on the trailer? But i really wouldnt worry about it, with that 1504 payload i think you will be just fine, just keep an eye on how much the rear squats which again shouldnt be too much. Enjoy

Last edited:
Unloaded weight means nothing as nobody travels with an empty trailer. Whats your Gvwr on the trailer? But i really wouldnt worry about it, with that 1500 payload i think you will be just fine, just keep an eye on how much the rear squats which again shouldnt be too much. Enjoy
Thanks! The GVWR is around 7300 but I wouldn’t expect to get close to the Max on cargo and gear. Thanks for the reply!

You'll be fine, you'll know it's back there. I'd invest in the Equalizer 4 point weight distribution hitch. Most really like it and it will make your whole experience better.

Based on this Link, although it says tongue weight 585, My guess is you will get closer to 800# ish pounds when loaded, full propane tanks, and a bit of water. That leaves you 700# for you and everything that is placed in your truck. It adds up, firewood, a couple coolers. Just be mindful and post up a pic or two when you get it. Good Luck (ps: rv salespeople are notorious for bad technical advise, good for you doing your homework)

You'll be fine, you'll know it's back there. I'd invest in the Equalizer 4 point weight distribution hitch. Most really like it and it will make your whole experience better.

Based on this Link, although it says tongue weight 585, My guess is you will get closer to 800# ish pounds when loaded, full propane tanks, and a bit of water. That leaves you 700# for you and everything that is placed in your truck. It adds up, firewood, a couple coolers. Just be mindful and post up a pic or two when you get it. Good Luck (ps: rv salespeople are notorious for bad technical advise, good for you doing your homework)
Yeah definitely will get a WDH. Thanks for the reply - gives me much more confidence going with this size trailer which isn't too small but not too big either.

I agree with the other comments above. That size trailer shouldn't be a problem for your 1/2 ton truck. Even with a near-loaded trailer (let's say 7000#), you would be well under the 9600# max towing capacity of the truck. Estimating around 12.5% (i.e. 875#) for tongue weight on that load, that's not far past the halfway mark of your truck's payload. If the trailer is 26' total then I'm guessing the box is 22-23' based on its model number 22MKSE. That will still pick up sidewinds and create some sway, but not like a 30'+ trailer does. Plus you'll mitigate that effect with the WDH and sway control device you choose. You are leaving yourself plenty of headroom in all situations, which will make the towing experience much safer and comfortable.

I agree with the other comments above. That size trailer shouldn't be a problem for your 1/2 ton truck. Even with a near-loaded trailer (let's say 7000#), you would be well under the 9600# max towing capacity of the truck. Estimating around 12.5% (i.e. 875#) for tongue weight on that load, that's not far past the halfway mark of your truck's payload. If the trailer is 26' total then I'm guessing the box is 22-23' based on its model number 22MKSE. That will still pick up sidewinds and create some sway, but not like a 30'+ trailer does. Plus you'll mitigate that effect with the WDH and sway control device you choose. You are leaving yourself plenty of headroom in all situations, which will make the towing experience much safer and comfortable.
Thank you for the reply. Really makes me feel much more comfortable about making the purchase and getting my family out on the road!

Congratulations. Looks great, and smart move with the E4 wdh. Safe travels, take it slow and easy until you get the hang of it. Maybe head to a parking lot with some cones and practice backing etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom