Towing with the new truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

Well, I finally got the trailer out for a good run today.  I had to get it inspected (Texas), so I figured I would take a small run with it to see how it handled without airbags (my last two trucks really benefited from the airbags).  Good news.  It pulled wonderfully.  It still has a bit of the bounce, but recovers easy enough.  And with the camper package on the truck adding an extra leaf, the truck actually levels out perfect.  This was a trip of only about 40 miles (a quick trip up the road), but it gave me good roads (mix of concrete and pavement).  So as of right now, I cannot justify the cost or need for airbags.  Which is a good thing.  I of course will get a better feel on a real trip, so wish me luck.

At the inspection place, waiting for the guy to come check my lights (the sum total of the "inspection).

Attachments

• TruckCamper1 (Medium).jpg
    TruckCamper1 (Medium).jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 81
Truck sits really level with the heavy 5er pin weight. Looks good to me. Does the truck ride a little harsh without a load?

IBTripping said:
Truck sits really level with the heavy 5er pin weight. Looks good to me. Does the truck ride a little harsh without a load?

It actually rides quite comfortably.  We took it on a trip to Florida (no camper) and only en East Texas and western Louisiana did we have any real ride issues.  Those roads were (are) messed up.  Lots of construction.  But otherwise, it's not really as bad as it seems like it should be.

Air bags are simply an additional spring, you apparently have enough spring to maintain ride height.

lynnmor said:
Air bags are simply an additional spring, you apparently have enough spring to maintain ride height.

Well, sorta.  Airbags are adjustable.  And mine had the wireless air compressor, which made adjusting on the fly a dream.  And the spring, being permanent, and from the factory, also gave me just a bit extra payload.  In addition to making the whole thing perfect when towing.  But I understand what you're saying.

edjunior said:
Well, sorta.  Airbags are adjustable.  And mine had the wireless air compressor, which made adjusting on the fly a dream.  And the spring, being permanent, and from the factory, also gave me just a bit extra payload.  In addition to making the whole thing perfect when towing.  But I understand what you're saying.

Was just trying to keep it short.  I have air bags with wireless controller on an F250 because of excessive sag with the trailer connected. 

lynnmor said:
Was just trying to keep it short.  I have air bags with wireless controller on an F250 because of excessive sag with the trailer connected.

I think we're on the same page.  Both of my previous trucks I had the air bags on for the same reason...a bit of sag.  But it also helped with the bouncing on the concrete (or other rough) surfaces.  On the bad roads, I could add 10 or 20 (sometimes more) pounds, and it would reduce the bouncing significantly.  Then when I got on smooth highway again, let some air out and relieve some of the stiffness. 

With the additional spring on my new truck, I can't adjust on the fly.  Or at all.  It is permanent.  With my little test run, it so far seems to ride fine.  But it was just me and an empty trailer.  We will try it again, hopefully soon, with it all loaded up as we travel.  Which isn't really much more than empty, but we'll see. 

When I got this truck, one of the "dealer options" they tried to sell me was a leveling kit.  I asked specifically what it was for.  He said it was to level the front and rear where the rear sits up higher.  I told him, "I think I have a leveling kit sitting beside my house.  My 5th wheel camper".  It turns out, it seems to be the perfect leveling kit!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom