toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

I am currently looking at a toy hauler that has a dry weight of 10000# and GVWR of 14000#. I do not intend to haul motorcycles, or any heavy "toys" in it. My wife and I want the extra room in the back for other uses. As long as I keep to this scanario it will stay within my vehicles tow rating even allowing 20% for western towing. Are there any potential problems with doing this, because I found a real good deal? It is a little smaller (30 ft. plus pinbox) than a lot of the toy haulers we looked at but seems well made and has nice options. I would rather get something smaller and nicer than go find something larger, and lighter with less options.

Are there any potential problems with doing this,

Not that I can think of...

I would watch the pin or tongue weight, though.  If the trailer is designed with the idea of carrying a heavy load in the back, it may be a bit nose heavy without a lot of weight back there to counterbalance.

I called the factory and the pin weight is 2400 as equipped fully loaded with all options. I will not be having it set up like that. I would like to afford all the options....maybe next time.

You mentioned counterbalance, will loading the rear section actually lower the pin weight? Also, where are the fluid holding tanks usually located, and would they have the same effect if towards the rear?

will loading the rear section actually lower the pin weight?

Yes. Any weight loaded behind the trailer axles will actually reduce pin weight. Think of the trailer like a teeter-totter - when a heavy person sits on one end, the other, lighter, end goes up.  The trailer axles are the fulcrum of the teeter-totter.

Holding tank locations will vary according to floor plan and other design factors. In a toyhauler I would think they would typically be forward of the axles to offset the weight of the "toy" and be closer to the bath and galley facilities, but that's no guarantee for any particular make & model. You will just have to look at each one to see.

The one we are looking at is a 2007 Keystone Raptor 299MP. If the deal goes through on both ends, I may be able to pick it up this weekend. Santa may be coming just a little late this year. If this happens, they are going to set aside a two hour window for a full demo on everything as if we were camping. I was wondering if they run water through it, because if so then I will have to winterize it....unless it keeps going the way it is and not getting very cold(yeah right).

Back
Top Bottom