Toy haulers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnRay

Hi All, My family and I have decided on getting a toy hauler. Theres a total of 6 of us with the normal accumulation of toys we like to take with us. We are 3 season campers with the want to attitude leaving us during winter. Basically the only trailer I've considered is a desert fox 28k between the years of 2004 to 2010 as these seem to be the only ones in our budget. Our budget is around 15k. I've been doing some research and it seems the desert fox is the best and since this is a significant purchase for us we want to try and get the best we can. So my question to you guys, since you guys are more experienced in the trailer world, is this. Is there any other trailers ro be considered? Is there better years of desert foxes then others? I live in Oregon and their factory is here. I like that idea but not sure if it matters. My tow vehicle is a 7.3l powerstroke excursion. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I might as well ask the standard questions. Someone has to... ?

Look at the yellow bordered placard on the drivers door pillar (the B pillar). Post what the max carrying capacity is for your TV (Tow Vehicle). That number is most often the key to what you can tow.

Next up is post the GVWR of the trailer. The placard on the side likely lists dry weight and carrying capacity. Add these two up.

With those, you will get lots of good advice..

Welcome to the Forum!

I can not comment on the TT TH, but you may want to verify the Excursion can handle the Payload.  Check the driver door latch post for a placard with a yellow border which states the maximum weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs.  They were required since 2009, so you may not have one.  If not, get the Excursion weighed with a full fuel tank.  There WILL be a GVWR placard  on the truck.
By definition, Payload = GVWR minus empty truck wt.

The Payload - or max of passengers and cargo - must be able to handle the weight of all passengers, car seats, tools, weight of the WD hitch and the tongue wt, which must be at least 10% of the TT  GVWR.  DO NOT USE DRY WEIGHTS OR PUBLISHED TONGUE WEIGHTS!!  If the salesman says anything different, THEY ARE WRONG!

I would hate to have you believe the tow rating and a salesman and end up with a grossly overloaded and unsafe towing experience.

Note the max tow rating must be reduced pound for pound for all passengers and cargo and all optional equipment installed - including all factory options.

Note dry wt is useless because nobody goes camping in an empty trailer!  With a family of 6, the weight will be much closer to GVWR, and that is what you are really towing.

edit:  Lynx types faster than I do!

Welcome to the RV Forum JohnRay

I have to agree with the rest about checking those weights.

I'm have no doubt the 7.3l powerstroke Excursion is a beast but the toy haulers tend to be pretty heavy.

Gizmo100 said:
Welcome to the RV Forum JohnRay

I have to agree with the rest about checking those weights.

I'm have no doubt the 7.3l powerstroke Excursion is a beast but the toy haulers tend to be pretty heavy.

Even the TT version are very nose heavy often ovef 1000 lbs dry add in 6 people in the excursion pay load on the truck nerds to be in excess of 2000 lbs

Back
Top Bottom