TP alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
FWIW: I recently purchased and installed a new Sealand (Dometic) porcelain toilet. Inside the box was a full page, 8 1/2 x 11 "Technical Alert" titled "Charmin Ultra Toilet Tissue Not Recommended For VacuFlush and Sealand Toilet Systems". In it they state that Charmin Ultra causes clogs, and goes on to describe the symptoms, cause, corrective action (including instructions on how to test your favorite brand of tissue), and test results.

I'll post a scan of the document as soon as I can locate another USB cable for my scanner. Seems my cat, Hercule, decided the original one made a good chew toy :'(

Charmin use to be good but they changed something and it became terrible for use in RV systems.  The TP test previously discussed here will separate the good TP from the Bad TP.  We use Scotts single ply but another good one is Angelsoft.  Whenever  I have performed the TP test on the special RV tp like thetford they did very poorly.

Ron said:
Charmin use to be good but they changed something and it became terrible for use in RV systems.

It failed the last TP test miserably. The best was Quilted Northern.

Anyone wanting to view the test procedure and results, click on the Library button above, select Hygiene, health and medicine, then click on Toilet paper test results.

Thanks Karl. Of course, a vacuflush system is much more likely to clog than our RV holding tanks. A vacuflush system typically uses a bellows pump, a vacuum generator/tank and a small diameter (1"-1.5") hose. One unfortunate result of TP getting stuck in the pump is that it gets compacted so it's quite hard. The bellows keeps going up and down and the first thing to go is the die cast eccentric cam that produces the up and down motion. (As you can tell, I've replaced a number of them).

I've never tested Sealand TP using George's test, but it would be interesting to see how it performs.

Tom said:
It failed the last TP test miserably. The best was Quilted Northern.

Tom

A caveat re the TP test. TP formulas change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. We had been a user of the Thetford RV single ply TP (also highly ranked on the TP test) and it served us well for a number of years. Then the supplier changed the formula and we started having problems so we switched off of it. IIRC, the same thing happened to Quilted Northern, it stopped passing the TP test when it's formula was changed. Periodic retesting of your chosen TP is necessary to insure proper dissolving.

Thanks for the reminder Bernie. I assume that "formula changes" that would cause failure would be the glue  ???

Tom said:
Thanks for the reminder Bernie. I assume that "formula changes" that would cause failure would be the glue  ???

Tom

I don't know if it was the glue or type of wood or chemicals but whatever it was, the feel of the paper became harsher and the paper didn't break up in the glass of water.

BernieD said:
whatever it was, the feel of the paper became harsher

Strangely enough we've used QN at home for many years and I hadn't noticed that change.

Tom said:
Strangely enough we've used QN at home for many years and I hadn't noticed that change.

Tom

I was referring to our experience with Thetford RV TP. The problem with QN was reported by others, and once again, IIRC was due to the quilting binding on the ability to dissolve.

Sorry Bernie, my brain wasn't in gear when I wrote that  :-[

I can confirm Bernie's report first hand.  As I mentioned in another thread, I switched to NQ and promptly jammed my macerator three times within a two week period.  that never happened before.  Now we are using Scot single ply deluxe with no problems for the last month.

Smoky said:
...and promptly jammed my macerator three times within a two week period.

Smoky, please refresh my memory about your macerator. Is it a true macerator, or what some boat manufacturers incorrectly call a head pump? A true macerator has a reall mean set of blades up front that would chew up almost anything that entered the pump. Macerator pumps are usually powered by a pretty powerful motor, so they're tough to stall or slow down.

Tom:

I am told that I have the Rolls Royce of the RV macerators.  The Sanicom I believe it is called.  It is the choice in installations by 3 big motorhome companies and Newmar is currently testing it.  I had Newmar prep me for it during factory coach assembly and I installed it myself.  Newmar has asked me to report back and I understand they have others testing it. 

I know you had good results with that toilet paper brand in the past but I think Bernie is right, something has changed.  It is not always dissolving and hangs the big blades.  In the past I used Thetford and never had a problem, but didn't like how it felt on the derrier.  The Scott seems to be a good compromise.

I hear others are talking about tests.  What comprises the test? 

Tom said:
Anyone wanting to view the test procedure and results, click on the Library button above, select Hygiene, health and medicine, then click on Toilet paper test results.

Smoky the test procedure can be found as Tom described in the above quote.

It must be complicated or you would have told me.  Maybe after the Raven game i will have the energy to look up the library file .  LOL!

Smoky said:
It must be complicated or you would have told me.

Couldn't be simpler Smoky. All you need do is follow the trail I provided and all will be revealed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom