TPMS - don't leave home without it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Out driving the truck around town yesterday (not towing) and the TPMS alarm went off, high pressure left front. I keep the alarm parameters tight and when I checked the pressure it was actually just at sidewall max (I run them 5psi below max when the truck is unloaded). So I thought probably normal given the couple hours of driving I'd done. A few minutes later alarm goes off again, high temp left front, now it's got my attention. 115 degrees. It had been intermittently pulling and was on my list to have it checked and I thought ok, puck is sticking I guess now's the time. Drive another 10 miles or so trying hard to use almost no braking, temp keeps rising, I'm in a hilly residential area and I'm trying to get back into a business area. Start smelling a hot brake, temp climbs to 135 and I figure that's enough, pulled into the first large lot I can find to shut down and assess. Temp continues to rise while sitting, hits 147. As luck would have it (I thought) I'm sitting in the lot of a tire and brake shop. They're happy to look at it, but ask "how long is that truck anyway?" Turns out, I'm too long for their racks (crew cab long bed). Called for a tow, flatbed 3 miles to another shop that can handle it. They find the problem in about 5 minutes - internally collapsed brake line trapping fluid. They check the brakes and no damage, should be fixed this morning.

My truck has factory TPMS (just a low pressure light) but the aftermarket one with temp gave me info that prevented me from possibly doing some damage  :))

I believe you just made my mind up. I am considering TPMS for my truck and 5th wheel. At the moment I was torn between getting just the 5th wheel only and leaving the truck alone, but you sold me on getting it for the truck well.

What brand are you using?

I have my eye on this brand and model EEZTire-TPMS10B.

Our previous C class had a calliper/puck sticking just as we started a vacation. Long story short, it got so hot on the way back home it melted the valve  stem.

Back2PA said:
They find the problem in about 5 minutes - internally collapsed brake line trapping fluid. They check the brakes and no damage, should be fixed this morning.

I'm having the same issue as far as pulling to the right and only to the right. It happens when I just touch the brakes then it seems to straighten out. I'll have to look at the rubber lines. Was it something you could see on the outside of the hose?  Mine are not heating up.

I believe you just made my mind up. I am considering TPMS for my truck and 5th wheel. At the moment I was torn between getting just the 5th wheel only and leaving the truck alone, but you sold me on getting it for the truck well.
Your truck already has a built-in TPMS, so you are merely adding temperature sensing.  It could prove useful, as Back2PA's example has shown, but it's a fairly rare event and one that you would probably notice soon via other symptoms.  But 6 extra sensors for the truck is only about $150, so not bad if it gives you extra peace of mind.

Rene T said:
Was it something you could see on the outside of the hose?  Mine are not heating up.

No. They said it was as internal. Previous to this mine was pulling but never heated up

Conquest2011 said:
What brand are you using?

I have my eye on this brand and model EEZTire-TPMS10B.

I have the Eezrv. Had it about 4 years now, very satisfied.

Re already having TPMS built-in, while that's true mine only has an idiot light, not a readout. Probably not necessary but I like seeing what's going on

The one time our TPMS alerted us to a problem was when it detected rising tire temps on our towed vehicle due to dragging brakes. I was in a hurry and had installed the aux brake incorrectly. The temp alarm sounded after about five minutes of driving, so I pulled over and corrected the problem. I figured the TPMS paid for itself with that one incident.

Kev

Rene T said:
I'm having the same issue as far as pulling to the right and only to the right. It happens when I just touch the brakes then it seems to straighten out. I'll have to look at the rubber lines. Was it something you could see on the outside of the hose?  Mine are not heating up.

I had the same thing happen on a Class A Ford chassis.  No, you can't see anything on the outside of the hose, but if you briefly crack open the bleeder valve on the wheel while the brake is dragging you'll see a bit of fluid spit out as the caliper piston retracts when the pressure is released.  This will also release the dragging brake.

The other thing that will cause brake drag is a stuck caliper piston.  In this case you won't get the spit of fluid nor will the brake release when you crack open the bleeder valve.

Lou Schneider said:
I had the same thing happen on a Class A Ford chassis.  No, you can't see anything on the outside of the hose, but if you briefly crack open the bleeder valve on the wheel while the brake is dragging you'll see a bit of fluid spit out as the caliper piston retracts when the pressure is released.  This will also release the dragging brake.

The other thing that will cause brake drag is a stuck caliper piston.  In this case you won't get the spit of fluid nor will the brake release when you crack open the bleeder valve.

I don't have a dragging brake. It just pulls to the right a touch. I'm thinking it may be just a dirty caliper and I've got to get up the ambition to tear in to it.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Your truck already has a built-in TPMS, so you are merely adding temperature sensing.  It could prove useful, as Back2PA's example has shown, but it's a fairly rare event and one that you would probably notice soon via other symptoms.  But 6 extra sensors for the truck is only about $150, so not bad if it gives you extra peace of mind.

That's what I thought as well Gary, but GMC do not install TPMS on 3500 diesels over 10,000 GVWR.

I am looking at one that comes with a signal extender, the thing is I don't know If I need it or not. I guess I spend a few extra bucks for the piece of mind.

skydivemark said:
Our previous C class had a calliper/puck sticking just as we started a vacation. Long story short, it got so hot on the way back home it melted the valve  stem.

Happened on my #1 Towed as well.. NOT while being towed but while driving independent. Nasty day hotter than hadies.. I was ISSED big time.

I just found a dragging left front brake on my F250.  Since I have an extended warranty I took it to the dealer who diagnosed it to be from rust and warranty doesn't cover that.  They wanted $619 for the repair so I declined and will take care of it myself.  I've seen brake hoses compressed by rust where the hose goes thru a support, but a hose simply collapsing will not retain high fluid pressure.  When I tear this apart, I expect to find the pads are rusted and too tight in the caliper.

I have a TST  TPMS system and love it.  I can be parked in the drive and pick up tire data from the FW in the back yard 75 feet away (no obstructions).  While I strongly suggest the TPMS, I would hold off on the extender until I KNEW I needed it.

I bought the extender for my TPMS years ago when I first installed the system. I am now 40' long plus the 4 door Jeep, so I am close to 60' overall.  The monitor mounted on the dash may or may not get "constant" signal from a rear Jeep tire if there is an issue, so for me it was just cheap insurance. Since most flats are in the rear tires if you pick something up on the road, that was my biggest area of concern.

Coincidentally I just had a flat repaired on a rear Jeep tire that was discovered during a tire rotation. Fortunately I wasn't towing at the time, but I did note a 2# difference in the pressure readouts on the Jeep TPMS. The new Jeep does do independent pressure readouts for each tire. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom