TPMS Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmiller226

I'm looking for recommendations for a TPMS for my 34' Travel trailer (4 tires). I've been researching them for a days and the more I research, the more confused I become. I see them anywhere from $74 - $400, all with their pros/cons and all with raving reviews and "you'll regret it" reviews. I realize you usually get what you pay for so I'm hesitant to buy a cheaper one but at the same time I don't want to buy the most expensive if I really don't need to.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone with a similar size travel trailer and what you have that you are happy with.

I'm looking for recommendations for a TPMS for my 34' Travel trailer (4 tires). I've been researching them for a days and the more I research, the more confused I become. I see them anywhere from $74 - $400, all with their pros/cons and all with raving reviews and "you'll regret it" reviews. I realize you usually get what you pay for so I'm hesitant to buy a cheaper one but at the same time I don't want to buy the most expensive if I really don't need to.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone with a similar size travel trailer and what you have that you are happy with.
I use an earlier version, TT 500, on both my 14’ flatbed and 36’ 5’er. Very nice units. You’ll likely need to install the signal amp on your trailer given the size.

We use EEZ-RV, with repeater, on our previous 32' and current 40' fifth wheel trailers. It has saved us from further undue grief three times now. It doesn't have a color screen, doesn't bluetooth, and the setup is kind of clunky. But it keeps me informed and sounds an audible alarm when something goes amiss.

We've been using a TST 507 TPMS continuously and trouble free since 2013, after switching from the previous TST 510 system. The 507 has user replaceable batteries, where the 510 did not. One advantage of the TST system is the continuous sensor readings even when the vehicle is sitting still for long periods. Several of the other systems sensors shut down and do not read again until the vehicle is under way. The reading they display at turn on is the previous reading before shutting down that may no longer be accurate.

My wish list would include the following:

Sensor replaceable batteries
I have a PressurePro system. They offer "sensor exchange" when the batteries crap out, but it's nearly the same price as new sensors. That's an expensive way to go and as they crap out, I'm not replacing them. I also have a Tire Minder. Those sensors use inexpensive and easily sourced batteries but the caps are somewhat fragile (several have split) so annually I check the batteries and caps, and replace the o-rings.

Receiver updates continuously, not just in motion
Some receivers go to "sleep" or don't update when parked. I like to review my tire pressures before departing first thing, not find out I have a low tire a few miles down the road. Tire Minder has a feature to "wake up" but you have to wait until all the sensors report in, which can take some number of minutes which is "better" but still annoying.

Pressures are displayed
Some receivers you have to scroll through the wheels to see the individual tire pressures on the screen. They always alert to under or over pressure but I like to see what pressures are sometimes while underway. Having to scroll through a menu and glance one at a time while driving is distracting and annoying. Having all the pressures visible on the screen at one time is better. Some receivers use a android phone via bluetooth as a display which solves the display problem but keeping it on really crunches the battery. I wouldn't run a TPMS app on my primary phone, so having a cast-off/dedicated phone with dash power would be the solution for that.

Extra credit - external antenna
Most systems offer repeaters which usually help but I like being able to place the main antenna where it can do the most good, which is usually somewhere other than up against a metal dashboard.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

After researching and feeling similar, I just took delivery yesterday on a TST 507 system. I have not installed yet. I will be using in next week.

I decided to go with the TST 507. Ordered last night and should be here Tuesday. I will install them this week, as we're leaving on a long trip next Sunday. I'm sure there are probably cheaper ones that would do the job just fine but these seem to have the most good reviews.

Last edited:
What truck do you have? My Ford has the built in tpms monitor system which is better than a stand alone one Gm has a similar system.
My trailer has the on-command which allows for an app ( at a cost).
If you dont have any of these keep them in mind if your planning on upgrading any time soon.

What truck do you have? My Ford has the built in tpms monitor system which is better than a stand alone one Gm has a similar system.
My trailer has the on-command which allows for an app ( at a cost).
If you dont have any of these keep them in mind if your planning on upgrading any time soon.
I've got a 2019 Nissan Titan XD Diesel. It does have TPMS for the truck tires but nothing for towed vehicle.

I installed 4 cap sensors on our car trailer for a trip that will haul an antique car to a trek in upstate NY. I followed the directions in the manual and if was fairly easy. We will be leaving in a couple of days to put it to work. My initial reaction is very positive. I think I am going to really like this system. It will be used primarily on the TT but will be easy to interchange. The alarm parameters can be set up for up to 4 trailers. I have 4 cap sensors that will go on our pickup/TV that I will install when I switch the cap sensors to our TT. For this trip, my brother is using his truck for this antique car trek. The 507 seems to be a very good system.

Back
Top Bottom