TPMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charger1204

Today I went online to look at a TPMS for my toad and couldn't believe how many different ones there are! I am a bit skeptical about the inexpensive "solar powered" ones though. Has anyone purchased one of these cheaper versions and have you been satisfied with that purchase? Just curious. :-\

Thanks in advance
Brad

I guess I should've done a search before posting this...just saw the same sort of question, sorry.

There are at least a dozen different brands of TPMS systems out there, and some are from the same manufacturer with just different brand names on them. Most all basically operate the same way, sending signals from a tire valve sensor cap to a receiver in the cab of your rig.  Some systems do have inside the tire mounted sensors mounted on the wheel, but those are not as common. 

I don't have experience with solar powered systems, but I would probably prefer the reliability of a 12 volt system. One of the features I like is the cap sensors have user changeable batteries.  Some must be sent back to the manufacturer for a battery replacement (usually one to two years battery life). 

Some have the need for an external antenna to help capture the signal from the toad tires to send to the receiver. Usually the longer the RV the more likely the chance an external antenna may be needed.  There are several different models and brands talked about here on the forum, so a search will provide tons of reading.  Let us know if you have any questions.

As SargeW mentioned there are several TPMS out there and typically operate the same way.  I just purchased TST (Truck Systems Technologies) after seeing a few positive reviews on it.  We are 3.5 weeks away from leaving our current location so I have no field experience with it, but I can say it was easy to program, has a color monitor which should make easier viewing while on the road and came with a repeater unit, where as some you have to buy as an option. 

We've been using a 10 sensor TST TPMS for the past ~10 years. We first had their 510 model with non-user replaceable batteries, and when the batteries started to give out after abut 5 years, they offered us a deal on the newer 507 system with user replaceable batteries for not much more than the cost of replacing the 510 sensors. We didn't need a repeater in either of the two Class A's we've had until I added some new electronics in our current coach that caused some interference. The repeater easily took care of that though. Replacing batteries about once a year is a simple process, and the batteries are readily available at less than a dollar each. As said, the sensor programming is easy, and TST's customer service is first rate.

TST brand here, too.  Same good experience as the others.  One note:  About a month ago I was in the truck in the driveway, at least 75 ft from the FW, and the TST was reading the monitors on the FW!!  This was across a clear yard with no obstructions.

I use EEZ RV Products TPMS on all 12 of my tires. Very simple and easy to program. It comes with a monitor and has great parameters to use. Phil has been above board with set-up and questions. Make an informed decision.

G.C.S. said:
I use EEZ RV Products TPMS on all 12 of my tires. Very simple and easy to program. It comes with a monitor and has great parameters to use. Phil has been above board with set-up and questions. Make an informed decision.

Another Eezrv user. As SargeW said, they're all quite similar. I chose the Eezrv because I liked the display layout.

Just to jump in I recently added the Tireminder bluetooth unit.  Only went that way once I realized that the bluetooth receiver will squeal if there is a problem - - meaning I don't have to have the app up on my phone.  That was important to me as my phone is also my GPS, podcaster and just general entertainment system in my old 2005 truck.

The repeater is in the 5th wheel, about mid-ship and picks up the utility trailer tires just fine.  Never had a signal problem in 800 miles or so.  Will learn more as the season progresses but so far happy....

It's not one of the cheaper units so not exactly what you were asking.  For me I just want it to work, already have enough fiddely things to deal with when traveling/camping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA1P3SG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Kyle

I also use the EezRV system for 6 tires on the RV and 4 tires on the toad since 2016.*

I like the system because its (mono-color) screen is easy to see and steps thru each tire showing PSI and temperature. The moment something is out of the parameters you set it will sound the alarm. The parameters can be set per axle.

I also have a repeater in the back of the coach (40ft) to reliably boost the toad sensor signals. The screen/receiver and the repeater are hard-wired to the 12 volts chassis system it comes with multiple mounting options.

To be sure to always have a good signal I replace the batteries every year. (Buy cheap on eBay) I do not have the flow-through sensors and do not use the anti-theft option to minimize weight. The sensors are very easy to pair with the receiver/display, the manual is very good (in real English). When you want to use the coach without the toad you can unlink the toad sensors with a key press and later link them in again. The TPMS reports high or low pressure, high or low temperature, fast leak, and battery alert.

*I have no affiliation with EezRV

Forgot to mention one thing:
When we first used the system the passenger side front tire of the toad was always higher in temperature than the rest of the toad tires, took me a while to figure that one out, it was in front of the coach exhaust. :)

Attachments

• eezrv.JPG
    eezrv.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 17
@Chakara...by cheaper I meant in the $40-$99 range...lots of these all over ebay, no doubt coming from china. I know there has to be a difference in quality to justify the huge difference in pricing. Those cheaper models popped up first when I searched and I was just wondering if they actually worked even half as well as the more expensive ones.

Thanks to all who replied...looks like I need to start saving for a good one now...wife is NOT going to be happy!

Charger1204 said:
@Chakara...by cheaper I meant in the $40-$99 range...lots of these all over ebay, no doubt coming from china. I know there has to be a difference in quality to justify the huge difference in pricing. Those cheaper models popped up first when I searched and I was just wondering if they actually worked even half as well as the more expensive ones.

Thanks to all who replied...looks like I need to start saving for a good one now...wife is NOT going to be happy!
Most of the cheap ones you mentioned are probably for a regular car and will not monitor your high-pressure RV tires. 

The wife should be happy, knowing it saves you both a lot of anxiety and it can prevent you from having a lot of expensive damage to your RV.
Of course, a blowout can happen anytime but the chance of catching an abnormal condition with a tire will be a better deal and so prevent this to happen.

I believe I'll get one of the 4 wheel monitors for the Equinox for now...at least I'll know if something happens to it all the way back there and won't have to rely on a passerby trying to catch my attention.
Thanks All for great input and advice (as usual)

Brad

Well, I went with the EezRV for 10 wheels...I like the system, it was easy to program and works without a booster.  I do have my two inside tires on rear axle getting high pressure. They are at 89/90 psi cold and reached 107 and 106 without being excessively hot. I'm going to double check inflation chart and see if they are inflated too much for my weight. The tires are rated for 110 psi max so I figured that 107 wasn't too bad. They are within 1-2 lbs off the tires on outside of axle. Front axle rated at 6500 and rear at 11000. I weighed in with full tank of gas 1/2 tank of water and equipment at 15600 total. 5260 front and 10340 rear. Driving on Continental HSR 225/70/19.5 and according to their chart (if I'm reading it right) I should be at or around 70 to 75 but that was for their new 2019 line of tires so I don't know if this is correct, seems to low to me but I'm not a tire expert so...I do know that these tires will age out this year.

That 110 psi max is a cold inflation pressure. The manufacturers are well aware that your pressures will rise well above the psi rating on the tire when it is hot and rolling on 150 degree asphalt.  As long as you are at or below the cold inflation pressure before driving, the rise in pressure is not a problem.

Just set the alarm limits on the TPMS to allow for the increase in temps and pressures when hot.

SargeW said:
That 110 psi max is a cold inflation pressure. The manufacturers are well aware that your pressures will rise well above the psi rating on the tire when it is hot and rolling on 150 degree asphalt.  As long as you are at or below the cold inflation pressure before driving, the rise in pressure is not a problem.

Just set the alarm limits on the TPMS to allow for the increase in temps and pressures when hot.
X2

For proper pressure, one cheap, easy estimate is find the max load for the tire.  For the rear dually tires, each tire is carrying about 2600 lbs.  Max inflation is 110 psi.  Per Tire Rack.com, max load for that tire is 3960 lbs at 110 psi.  Keeping math simple , 2600# / 4000# = 65% of max load.  65% of max pressure (110 psi ) = 71.5 psi.  Pressure in the 75 - 85 psi range is reasonable for the rear axle.

For the front, 5260 / 2 = 2630 # per tire, so the same numbers will apply.

Okay....My tire pressure sensors built into my equinox won't register anymore with the tpms sensors screwed on the valve stems. Anyone else have this problem?

Back
Top Bottom