TPO Roof Sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roscoe's Roadtrips

Hello all!
I have a 2019 Tor Ace motor coach. It has a TPO roof. The roof looks to be in good shape but I want to protect it as much as possible. What products would you recommend as the best and user friendly for sealing and U.V. protection?

Thank you

I used to sell and install commercial TPO roofs. I also worked in the technical department of a major TPO manufacturer. TPO has good UV resistance, so you don't need to coat it - especially if it's only 3 years old. Coating it will make any future repairs a nightmare as you will have to remove the coating in the repair area. I would recommend inspecting the roof annually to make sure that the penetrations through the roof are sealed properly and there is no damage to the membrane. The same goes for EPDM roofs. These membranes should easily last 15 years or more. Don't waste your money on coatings!

COCJ,

THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the information. That is good to know. I am a new motor coach owner and I want to make sure that I am keeping my ride in top shape. I basically just research on the internet to see how to maintain my coach. I am trying to be proactive.

I bought the Dicor self leveling to use for cracks, gouges and roof penetrations. Do you just look at the old caulk and see if it is cracked and in need of replacing? Do you scrape it off and put a new coat on or just go over the old with the new?

Thank you again for your time the information. It is a great help.

Do you just look at the old caulk and see if it is cracked and in need of replacing? Do you scrape it off and put a new coat on or just go over the old with the new?
The answer is Yes to all of those things. The caulk will develop surface cracks as it dries (over time) and that's no problem, but if a crack gets wide or deep you should repair it. In that situation it's generally NOT necessary to remove the old caulk - just clean the area of any loose dirt and fill the crack. Clean with a detergent & water or a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Just damp, not soaking.

If a section of the caulk begins to separate from the roof surface or around an object, it's best to pull/scrape away the loose area and then re-seal. If the layers of caulk begin to build up, you can remove some or all of it using a heated blade or a hair dryer at a warm setting. Avoid very high temperatures. Clean the surface and apply a new layer.

Thank you for your time and help! Maybe one day I will know enough to help someone.

Much appreciated. Safe travels!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom