Traditional Preakness Drink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

This one I know:

Black-Eyed Susan

Traditional drink of the Preakness. This is how it is served at the Alibi Breakfast at Pimlico and also to the fans at the Black-Eyed Susan and Preakness Stakes. Be careful as it is deceptively strong!

INGREDIENTS:

1 part Cointreau
1 part Mount Gay rum
1 part Vodka
Pineapple Juice
Orange Juice

My horse SNS ran a respectable race today, coming in second.  The winner was a non Derby horse and I was too lazy to research the new entrants.  My bad.  ;D

Barbaro had a sad ending and I feel badly about his pain.  I know it is career ending for racing, and I hope does not become life threatening.  I believe there is a relationship between his accustomed 5 to 6 weeks between races and now being forced to run in 2 weeks, his breaking thro0ugh the closed starting gate, and the double fractured ankle.  Inexperience showed today, but not in the way I expected.  I thought he would be just too tired to run the race.  I don't think we will see many more horses resting 5 weeks before the Derby...at least if they want to go for the Triple Crown.

The Triple Crown is an awesome accomplishment and it will not come easily.  We may see another decade before it occurs.  Anything can happen in horse racing.

I can't celebrate the Preakness when my Kentucky Derby winning horse is in possible life-ending pain. I know these horses live to run but I hate to see any animal hurt for our entertainment.

Wendy:

What happened to day was sad for the horse and painful for both the horse and the watching spectators.  But it surely was not done for our entertainment. 

I think it was wrong to train the horse to expect 5 or 6 weeks between races and then enter him in the Triple Crown, but no one can ever know for sure if that was a wrong thing to do.  That is just my own opinion and it was part of my logic used to pick my horse for the Preakness.  If Barbaro had won, it might have been a landmark event and changed the thinking of many other trainers.  It also would have changed my own thinking and I would certainly have picked him for the Belmont and the Triple Crown.

Five horses have entered the Derby with 5 or more weeks of rest and none of them, until Barbaro, ever won the Derby.  Barbaro was on the verge of changing the way trainers think about rest intervals.  The reason I did not make him my pick was because I felt he would be too tired to run a good Preakness.  I expected him to tail off on the stretch and certainly did not expect the dramatic and sad events that actually occurred.

Horse racing often does have painful events like we saw today.  No one has ever found any way to guarantee their prevention.

I didn't mean that the horse was injured for our entertainment (any more than race car drivers are injured or killed for our entertainment). I just meant that I hate seeing an animal injured in an event that was intended originally for our entertainment. (Did that make more sense or less??)

Back to the Nascar race....hope no one gets hurt.

wendycoke said:
I didn't mean that the horse was injured for our entertainment (any more than race car drivers are injured or killed for our entertainment). I just meant that I hate seeing an animal injured in an event that was intended originally for our entertainment. (Did that make more sense or less??)

Back to the Nascar race....hope no one gets hurt.

Wendy,

I think you stated it correctly. I agree that we all hate to see an animal injured for any reason. Regardless of the injury they do not know the reason behind it. That's not always true for human injuries.

We are are sad to see any animal in trouble, for they can't fend for them selves and explain to us what is wrong.  Sometimes that even transfers over to us.  Hey Smokey the trailer next to your spot is gone again.

Understood Wendy and I agree!

Shayne, if every couple weeks you could make sure the shed doors remain locked, and no one has tapped into out electric, would be much appreciated.

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm jumping on this thread late.  Many of you know that Tim and I have horses. 

One of the sad things about horse racing is that the horses are all extremely young when raced.  A horse doesn't mature and bones don't solidify until they are about 4 years old.  Race horses are somewhere around the age of 2 years during their racing season.  There are a lot more breaks, bowed tendons and legiment tears with young race horses than the public is aware of.  In real life, those of us who buy and train horses for pleasure don't even get on their backs until they are close to 4.  In the world of the Arabian horse breed, their knees don't close and can't be ridden until at least 4 years of age.  In the world of racing, horses are more of a commodity, are expendible and run for profit.

Just a tid bit of information.

Marsha~

No problem Smoky  I've been keeping tabs on the lot.  Also the Trailer next to you is now gone again.  Don't quite know what is going on there.  Everyone around you is gone.  Finally got my other car down here, so its's a little crowded here.  Tell the Admiral  plants doning fine ewxcept for the little evergreen.  It's a little sad looking,  but we're trying to nurse it back to life.

Well said Marsha. ?

I grew up on a farm school that stabled 180 horses, the majority thoroughbreds. ?We had a well known thoroughbred trainer (Willis Lynch who taught the Peruvian school of competition riding) and some students of well known horse people often attended that school (for example Bobby Arcaro, son of jockey Eddie Arcaro, Carey Winfrey (son of Native Dancer trainer Bill Winfrey and currently Editor of Smithsonian magazine, and Steve Vordemberg jockey, and many others including some US Olympic team riders). ?What you say is accurate ... our colts and fillies were carefully controlled in their youth by Mr. Lynch. ?I will not say they were never ridden before, but they were not available to the student body during their formative years. ?I rode competitively until I graduated from high school. ?Many of the finest horses I rode were in double digit age figures.

I think part of the problem with Barbaro was that he had been trained to expect 5 or 6 week layoffs between races. ?Then suddenly he was entered into the grueling triple crown sequence without proper conditioning for repeated two week layoffs. ?This, combined with the developing bone structure you talked about, combined with actually banging through the start gate, could have easily led to his demise. ?I wondered about that kind of training, and this was the reason I did not pick him for the Derby (no horse before him had won the Derby with 5 or more weeks of layoff) or to repeat in the Preakness. Although I admit I thought fatigue would be his enemy, and did not imagine he would experience the awful disaster we all witnessed on live TV.

Shayne - thanks buddy for all the help l you are giving us. ?Hey! ?How can you be crowded with two lots, two park models, a motorhome, two golf carts, and two cars? ? ;D

Easy? ?too much good junk as my trailer showed at the Q? Plus Audrey has about 5 extra sets of dishes and enough pons and pans for 12 homes.? Lets don't even start on clothes and other juck of hers.? ?Hard to believe we have so much after all we sold with the house and sent to the auction.? Autioneer said they had more compliments on our stuff than everything else they've sold in years.? Heck, that didn't even include the old cars, trucks and tools I sold over the past few yearss.? I need 30 acres and 20 sheds.

Hey Shayne?  What condition is the golf course in?  I am ready for that bad boy. 

I took some lessons in Myrtle Beach and also discovered (on one of those computer machines at the golf shop) that my clubs were too short for me.  They extended them from standard length by a half inch.  What a HUGE difference!  I broke 100 for The first time with a 95 at Chesapeake Hills.  I thought the light flex graphite shafts were the problem, and all along it was the shortness.  That golf shop saved me a grand as I was ready to trade in for a new set.

This is my best score since I returned to golf after a 20 year hiatus.  I am excited enough now to trade some of my Montana fishing time for some Montana golf.  I want to arrive at Phoenix ready to sandbag my high handicap for the first month or so.  heheheh  ;D

Did they finish the driveway into the golf club?  Are the greens and fairways nice?

Also see if you can find out from Larry (the pro) what the reseeding schedule is going to be and how long the course will be shut down in the fall.  Last year they had a closed way too long.

Ok Will check things out for you    We've been golfing at  Traditions, Happy Trails and Cayote Lakes.  Better courses and cheaper rates including their golf carts.  Can't drive mine to the course here for what they are charging.  Hardly anyone using this course.

This conversation belongs in email since the two of you are talking about stuff that doesn't concern anyone else here.

Sorry Tom.  It was just the thrill of knowing Shane is a few blocks away from our winter abode.  He and I get goofy at times!  ;D

Thanks Smoky. It's just that a very small number of folks pay for the limited storage and bandwidth here. Also, to ensure we are true to our commitments to forum members, I and several other unpaid volunteers read every message here; It really is a waste of our time to read messages about watering flowers, mowing lawns. and reseeding times for some golf course.

I learned about your golf bais from the other thread Tom!  ;D  I should have realized.  I guess it is time for me to send another donation aye?  Now let me see where that Pay Pal button is hiding.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom