Trail Blazer not tow vehicle! Traded for Tahoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucyakers

I was assured that the Trail Blazer would pull the little Pioneer trailer just fine. I towed it home and, the next day, traded for a Tahoe with a 5300 V8 and 4.10 rear end (whatever that is).

Expensive lesson. At least employee pricing on the 2006's started yesterday. Had to get one with pedals that move forward and I lost some of the fancy things on the Blazer and it cost more. Other than that...

I was assured that the Trail Blazer would pull the little Pioneer trailer just fine.

It's a tried and true adage of RV purchases - "If the salesman's lips are moving, he's lying"!  The fact is, most salesmen simply don't have a clue but have no inhibitions at all against saying whatever it takes to close the deal. 

Wish you had inquired here first, Lucy. We could have helped you avoid that mistake, though I guess you would have had the expense of a vehicle trade anyway.

Same thing happened to me.  I pulled the Skamper ONCE with the Montero.  Got an F-250 the next week!  Of course, the underlying motive was to get rid of the Montero anyway.  It was just too small for me to begin with.  I've always been a big car/truck kinda guy.  The bigger they are, the more gas they guzzle, the better they are!  Anyway, the truck pulls this trailer great.  Glad to see you got something that will better do the job!

I was once told that the three groups of people you should never freely trust or take what they say as gospel are LAWYERS, POLITICIANS, and SALESMAN. Seems this old guy had it pretty straight for a 90 year old man at the time. ;D

lucyakers said:
I was assured that the Trail Blazer would pull the little Pioneer trailer just fine. I towed it home and, the next day, traded for a Tahoe with a 5300 V8 and 4.10 rear end (whatever that is).
Expensive lesson. At least employee pricing on the 2006's started yesterday. Had to get one with pedals that move forward and I lost some of the fancy things on the Blazer and it cost more. Other than that...

I think all of RVing involves expensive lessons.? Look how wise we are all becoming.? I think you will really enjoy the Tahoe.? It is Chevy's big brother version of our GMC Envoy.? ?We have only towed a boat with it but works well. Don't think we would want to tow much heavier with it.

We were reminded yesterday of the need for an adequate vehicles? with which to tow things.? A couple of young kids were in front? of us at a dirt road intersection? making a left hand turn onto main highway.? They had a big flatbed trailer with a big old Oldsmobile aboard or some such "antique" car (maybe mid 60's)? Not 1/4 mile down the highway we come upon them.? Their jeep is on it's side in the ditch facing us, tow trailer jack knifed across road with tail end of it resting on the back of their over turned jeep.? An erry feeling.? We were first on scene.? In a very few seconds a young kid about 20,? scrambles up and out of the side passenger window, soon followed by his friend the driver.? They were? "ok" though badly shaken.? One kid kept saying I just bought it, I just bought it.? They said the trailer just started to sway and they could not stop and were flipped into the ditch.? They could not have been going more than about 25 mph.? ?Now there is an expensive lesson.? All onlookers commented on the woefully over loaded set up.? I felt badly for the kids as one guy puts his hands down on his knees, hangs his head and keeps saying "I have no money"? At least he? had his health.? Be glad you got a new car.

Betty

RV Roamer said:
It's a tried and true adage of RV purchases - "If the salesman's lips are moving, he's lying"!? The fact is, most salesmen simply don't have a clue but have no inhibitions at all against saying whatever it takes to close the deal.?

Wish you had inquired here first, Lucy. We could have helped you avoid that mistake, though I guess you would have had the expense of a vehicle trade anyway.

What would you have told me I needed to pull 3500 pounds!

At least I have the heavy-duty stabilizer anti-sway hitch (that weighs more than I do!) and the car dealer included transferring the brake control.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom