Trailer Batteries in storage (0 to -25 degrees)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayPeeWhy

I have a trailer in outdoor storage, no electrical hook up. Temperature ranges from 0 to -25 around here. I am using the trailer beginning of January.

Do I need to remove batteries and store them somewhere warmer?
If so do I need to have a trickle charger on them?
Can I leave them on the RV if I have a solar panel to charge? (providing it is snow free)

What's the best course of action brand any brand of charger I should look for if required?

I would move them somewhere warmer like at home with a trickle charger. If there was power at the RV I would suggest plugging it in and letting it go. But since there is no reliable power and solar isn't going to great some days. I would highly consider bringing them home where they can be stored better.

Thanks for the reply ..... do I just run them in Tandem and leave the charger trickle charging them 24/7?

Depends on the charger.

The following applies:

12 volt batteries, Run in parallel and attach either a Battery Minder or a Battery Tender and provide it with "Shore" power

Six volt batteries are wired in series, thus forming one large 12 volt battery, and again you hook up the Battery minder/tender

Battery Minder and Battery tender are competing brand names for nearly identical products, as to which one is better.... Too close to call.

Batteries fully charged and maintained in this manner should be able to survive up to -40 your choice of thermometers (C or F).

I agree with recent postings.  Fully charged batteries are less likely to freeze.  But in answer to your question, remove the batteries, bring them inside and trickle/float charge them as a unit for the Winter.  That way, the charge will be uniform and equal to all batteries involved.  That is the way I do it.  Has worked well for me for many years through MI Winters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom