Trailer Brake question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJAG

My Chevy Silverado has a Brake package on the dash for trailers. I am looking at a 2013 Forest River SURVEYOR SELECT SV264 from a private party. He has a f 150 he towed with. What process do I need to go through to insure my brakes are working?

I'm guessing your truck is already equipped with a 7-pin trailer connector in back? And a brake controller on the dash?  If so, one of these testers is a very handy thing to have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K151J11/

The brake package usually comes from the factory with no fuse in the brake power circuit, so find that and put the fuse in (owner manual should help).
Once you know the trailer connector is functioning as intended, connect up the trailer and test its wiring. You should be able to lock the wheels on the trailer by pushing the truck brake pedal. You can do that with a test drive, or by jacking up each trailer wheel and try to spin it by hand.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You should be able to lock the wheels on the trailer by pushing the truck brake pedal. You can do that with a test drive, or by jacking up each trailer wheel and try to spin it by hand.

I believe somewhere you'll find that you should be able to manually apply the trailer brakes without applying the truck brakes.

My simple test every time I connect is speed up to 5 mph and manually apply trailer brakes (on gravel in my case)  I should lock up the FW tires.

I start my trips out with a solid drag and override of the brakes, 'clean the rust and crud off them' 
A different question is: are you sure your Silverado is up to the task of handling that much trailer and your family, and your belongings.  If it is a 1500, I think you would be wise to research.  Let me ask, what is your payload?

Actually that TT is a bit more in weight.  My opinion, and I pull a smaller Trailer with a YukonXL, you will not be happy pulling that large of a trailer with a 1500 truck.  The wind can be terrible on bigger TT, and the 1500 just doesn't have the desired suspension nor tires to hold its ground. Others do it, and say they are fine, but unless your 1500 has been special ordered with heavy duty trailering package, I think you are asking for more than you wish for.  If you actually found the payload on your truck at 1700#, technically you should be fine. Most of the basic 1500s I've looked at are closer to 1500# payload.  And my current 5.3 v8, is not a workhorse by any means.  I would anticipate 800# tongue weight after loaded with the trailer you are looking at, that gives you 900# worth of wife, kids, dogs, and extras in your truck. That adds up really quick. 

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2013-forest-river-surveyor-select-travel-trailer-floorplan-sv264-tr14836

I gave everyone bad information. The Trailer I was going to buy is the one above, but I ended up going with a lighter trailer.

It is a little lighter and shorter, I hope my truck can handle it just fine.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2013-keystone-bullet-travel-trailer-floorplan-246rbs-tr14536

:))  Nice trailer.  You should be fine pulling it.  It will let you know it's back there in strong winds, but what's new.  Congrats and let us know how well it pulls.

It came with Xcab hitch and towed with a v8 4 runner. So I assume some adjustment are in order on the sway bars and tongue weigh distribution.

I was getting nervous going bigger than this.

No i bought private party so i will need either to do it myself or hire a dealer. But there is a good youtube video made by the xCALIBER.

Not hard to adjust / install.  Ask the seller if they have the original paperwork, that would be helpful.  If you don't have far to travel to get it home, not terrible important to make it perfect. It would be nice if it was close, or I certainly would stay off the interstate and keep it under 40.  You basically set the ball height, and hook up the WDH bars.  The trick is setting up the ball height initially.  Maybe measure the guys 4 runner hitch height, and your truck hitch height, and you will know if you are in the ballpark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom