Trailer Brake settings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Team Reverse

I pull with a 2010 Silverado 2500 Diesel. My standard equipment brake controller goes from 0-10. I'm pulling 16k. What do you set your brake controller at? Im not having problems, just curious. I have mine set on 7. That seems to be the sweet spot where the truck and trailer stop without depending on the other.

Thanks

The best way to test it is to pull the trailer on gravel or dirt, get rolling about 5 mph and coast then apply the trailer brake manually. If you apply it fully it should not quite slide the trailer wheels.

If 7 is the “sweet spot” as you say the 7 it is!! I’m pulling about 13,000 with 2020 f-250, factory brake control, 7 seeme to be where I usually wind up also.

I don't think you can make any judgement by the number, especially for different brands of controllers. Not to mention different trailers with different size & condition of brakes. It's mostly a seat-of-the-pants as Frizzlefrak described - no yank and no push. You can validate that by stopping quickly on sand or gravel and checking for skidmarks, per Kirk's replay.

Tow Cougar xlite 27RKS with F150 SC 3.5 4 x 4 Max tow and brake setting is 4.5. Any higher and trailer is stopping truck. Towed previous Durango and setting was 7.5. I was new to towing and realize brakes had never worked correctly on that trailer in spite of dealer reassuring me all was good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom