Trailer Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nsnider

I'm getting ready to pick up my travel trailer and my vehicle does not have a brake controller. Will I be ok to travel without it while maintaining a speed of about 35-50 to get it to the storage location?

I doubt hardly anyone here will tell you it's okay, whether it is or not. Nobody would want the libility of telling someone that something that's potentially dangerous is okay to do. Why not get a controller installed and have it over with. You gonna need it anyway.

Not knowing what your towing or the tow vehicle...Can't help you much.

That said I would NOT tow a TT without working brakes. They are just to heavy.

kdbgoat said:
I doubt hardly anyone here will tell you it's okay, whether it is or not. Nobody would want the libility of telling someone that something that's potentially dangerous is okay to do. Why not get a controller installed and have it over with. You gonna need it anyway.

:)) :))

I just overlooked getting one. I normally like ordering items online but I'm searching for a good one locally as I'm picking up the TT tomorrow.

If you're picking it up at a dealer, and you trust the dealer, they can generally install one for you. It's my understanding that a lot of U-Haul places do too. By the way, you pretty much can't go wrong with a Tekonsha.

I didn't even think about checking with U-haul. Thanks. I'm pretty decent when working on vehicles so id prefer installing myself. Chevy makes it pretty easy. The wires are already located under the steering wheel so a few connectors and a couple of wires under the hood and I'm done.

I also only like paying once for something. I'm in the military and don't have time for stuff breaking down on the road.
How does this one look? Tekonsha Prodigy P2

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/tekonsha-5040/truck---towing-16781/trailer---towing-16648/trailer-accessories-16827/trailer-brake-control-15744/f26e8129172b/tekonsha-brake-controller/90885c/4746191/2007/chevrolet/tahoe?q=brake+controller&pos=0

That one is often highly recommended by a lot of folks here. If you haven't already, when done your controller install, check the center pin on the connector at back of your truck. There should be 12 volts on it. Many times there's not. Usually it's because the factory saved 14? by not installing a fuse that feeds it.

I would not want to risk having 6000 unbraked lbs behind me at highway speeds (anything above about 25-30.  Even 30 mph could be risky if something hapens and you need to stop quickly.  The Taho's brakes are designed to stop it's GVWR, so anything extra is unbraked. If you and the Tahoe are substantially under the Tahoe GVWR, maybe the amount of unbraked weight is less than 5600-6000 lbs,

Sure some place nearby has a Tekonsha Prodigy or P3, e.g. a hitch shop or RV dealer. Finding the pre-made harness to plug it into a Tahoe might be harder, though.

That Prodigy P2 is perfect. 
It's the one I have, and I like it.  I drive a 2005 Yukon XL, 6000# TT.  Maybe Oreilly has the quick connect, plugs into fuse box, plugs into Prodigy, all done.

NO Way would I pull anything over 3000# without brakes, too many idiots out there.  It's not you, it's the bozo in front that brakes heavier than you wish he did.

kdbgoat said:
That one is often highly recommended by a lot of folks here. If you haven't already, when done your controller install, check the center pin on the connector at back of your truck. There should be 12 volts on it. Many times there's not. Usually it's because the factory saved 14? by not installing a fuse that feeds it.

Are you sure Goat?  The middle pin is for reverse and the constant battery pin should be the one at 1 o'clock position looking into the truck receptacle.

You're probably right Rene. After having a stroke or two, sometimes a person doesn't know what he knows. Thanx for catching that. :))

I'm glad someone cleared that up. I got it installed and I checked all the fuse locations. Everything seems to be working. Thanks

I'm late to the parade, but Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for asking.  You will be much safer bringing the new baby home.

Nsnider said:
I'm glad someone cleared that up. I got it installed and I checked all the fuse locations. Everything seems to be working. Thanks

:)) :)) Glad to see you get off to a safe start.

I really didn't want anything to happen. I'm sure I'll have many more questions here soon.

Back
Top Bottom