Trailer (chassis mounted) receiver max weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Workshirk

Hi all,

I have a 1998 Fleetwood Wilderness Lt which has a factory installed, chassis mounted, (not bumper) 2” receiver. I am trying to find out what the tongue weight of this receiver is. I also have a motor home which has the 500 lb max weight on a plate but the trailer has nothing, I have also tried Fleetwood themselves but this trailer was apparently made before the new company took over so information is non existent. Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

In lieu of any real data, I'd assume (guess) it is 500 lbs, which is the lowest rating I've ever seen on a 2" receiver. Of course, that rating still assumes that the old Fleetwood mounted it to a sufficiently strong piece of the frame.

In lieu of any real data, I'd assume (guess) it is 500 lbs, which is the lowest rating I've ever seen on a 2" receiver. Of course, that rating still assumes that the old Fleetwood mounted it to a sufficiently strong piece of the frame.
Thanks. Yeah, that’s my hope. And it’s definitely solid; the whole frame is pretty much 2” box section. My only concern is whether that particular span of frame could twist about the centre point, (hitch) if too much weight is on it. I want to carry my motorcycle and love it too much to risk losing it…

If the trailer axles are at the exact center of the length then every pound of weight you put on that receiver will be removed from your tongue so if the motorcycle and carrier are 500 lbs then your tongue weight will be 500 lbs less than "normal". If the axles are not at the center point then the numbers will change of course.

The current Fleetwood is just the remnants of the old Fleetwood that was at that time the largest builder of RVs in the world. They went into bankruptcy and nobody bought most of the company but the REV Group bought most of the motorhome brands and some of the factories as well as the Fleetwood name in 2009. All of the towable factories were closed and liquidated. The REV Group builds specialty vehicles, to include fire trucks, ambulances, street sweepers, and several others as well as not motorized RVs.

The current Fleetwood is just the remnants of the old Fleetwood that was at that time the largest builder of RVs in the world. They went into bankruptcy and nobody bought most of the company but the REV Group bought most of the motorhome brands and some of the factories as well as the Fleetwood name in 2009. All of the towable factories were closed and liquidated.
Rev Group also denies any knowledge of RVs built before they took over, even though they got all of the old Fleetwoods databases. They have also all but eliminated any customer support of models older than 5 years. They have even limited customer-pay services for older units.

Other companies bought the Fleetwood trailer brand names but I don't think any of them have any history or tech data on those brands. I think Heartland now owns the Wilderness brand name, but don't expect any help there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom