Trailer Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaron1

New to RVing as of last year - Bought a new camper and they installed everything we need on the truck to get going, using a weight distribution hitch. We recently bought a new truck. Does a weight distribution system require a certain type of hitch to be installed on the truck? Or are we good to go with the factory installed hitch?

If your truck specs say that you can tow your trailer safely then it will have the appropriate receiver for your WD hitch. Good chance you will ned to make some adjustments.

Does a weight distribution system require a certain type of hitch to be installed on the truck? Or are we good to go with the factory installed hitch?
Pickup trucks usually come with a hitch receiver, and the actual hitch is installed in that. Receivers come in standard sizes (designated Class 1-5) and can accept any type of hitch. The caveat is that the class of the receiver must be equal or greater than the class of the hitch. In your case, the hitch includes the WD function.
Most trucks come from the factory with a Class 4 (IV) receiver and odds are that's what your hitch is as well. Class IV receivers and hitches are typically rated for up to 12,000 lbs.

Some new trucks (ram 2500) come with a 2.5" receiver instead of a 2". But it should also come with an adapter to fill the gap. Just don't forget to take the adapter out so you don't loose it out on your friend's 100 acre ranch. The aftermarket adapters at tractor supply aren't as nice.

For our Ram 2500 I purchased a 4 point Equal-i-zer 18" extension shank so that I could clear both the jack and the top of the tongue ball mount with the tailgate down. It still doesn't clear it by this much "------". 2.5" thick shanks are available, but not in the extended lengths. The 2.5" to 2" reducer tends to get stuck inside after towing. Have to whack it out.

Pickup truck tow ratings have increased to the point where the 2.5" Class V receiver is needed on some models to haul the max trailer weight. There is a 2" "Extra Duty" that goes up to 17,000 lbs but the full 2.5" Class V is needed for 18,000 & up.

For our Ram 2500 I purchased a 4 point Equal-i-zer 18" extension shank so that I could clear both the jack and the top of the tongue ball mount with the tailgate down. It still doesn't clear it by this much "------". 2.5" thick shanks are available, but not in the extended lengths. The 2.5" to 2" reducer tends to get stuck inside after towing. Have to whack it out.
That's what happened to me. The truck was only 3 months old. We were out in a pasture and I pulled a hitch out of the receiver. The adapter stayed in the receiver and I completely forgot it existed. Didn't remember until the next time I went to put a hitch in the receiver and it didn't fit :(

Not sure where in his pasture the adapter came loose. His ranch hand said he'd keep an eye out for it for me.

What's the year, make, model of the new truck and the trailer. With that, we can look stuff up in your manuals and stop guessing.

If you take a picture of the WDH you have and rear of the new truck that would be a help also.

Heck, maybe the guys that sold you the new truck can tell you.

Let's get you back on the road again!

That's what happened to me. The truck was only 3 months old. We were out in a pasture and I pulled a hitch out of the receiver. The adapter stayed in the receiver and I completely forgot it existed. Didn't remember until the next time I went to put a hitch in the receiver and it didn't fit :(

Not sure where in his pasture the adapter came loose. His ranch hand said he'd keep an eye out for it for me.
Good luck with that. I lost a motorcycle ramp...8' long and 12" wide in a 5 acre pasture one time. Lived in that house for another 2 years and never did find it...even with the bush hog.

Pickup truck tow ratings have increased to the point where the 2.5" Class V receiver is needed on some models to haul the max trailer weight. There is a 2" "Extra Duty" that goes up to 17,000 lbs but the full 2.5" Class V is needed for 18,000 & up.
Yep, my new RAM 2500 came with a Class V, 2.5" Commercial Duty hitch. The truck itself is rated for 15,500# towing capacity, and 3912# payload. Off the factory floor it was rated at 4010 payload, then they added tow hook, brake controller, and spray-in bedliner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom