Trailer ordering questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandyman

Hi,

We've figured out which trailer to buy - a Jay Feather 23M. It's got a small slide and a murphy bed which allows the bed area to be used for a sofa during the day- so it feels really big for its size. But since it is our first trailer, we are confused about whether to order some options. I'm interested in opinions on any of the following.

Enclosed underbelly. Supposedly the advantage of this is that it provides some additional protection from the elements (i.e. the cold). Since we plan on travelling mostly in the summer, I wonder about the utility of this. My wife likes the idea on the theory that it will make it harder to critters to get in and chew wires and such, but I'm skeptical about how effective it would be. In fact, I wonder whether it would give them more cavities in which to live. And I like the idea of being able to get at things more easily in case I have to fix them.

Aluminum Rims. Supposedly helps brake cooling. Worth the money?

Outside grill. Sound nice. The only concern is whether this would be a bear attraction in places where bears are a concern.

One remaining question. What type of discount should we expect to get on a special order?

Thanks for any help!

- Andy

I leave my outside grill outside and use it frequently.  No ursine visitors yet....they don't really like the charred smell it leaves.  My rig has an outdoor kitchen too....I do NOT leave any edibles in the outside fridge.....that will attract bears. 

I would think the enclosed underbelly would be an advantage and keep the floor a little warmer on the shoulder seasons....I don't have an attached grill, but have a small Weber with a plumbed propane quick-disconnect and once I pull in someplace it is hooked up and on the table for generally as long as I am there as I use it almost everyday in decent weather...never had an animal problem.

I have steel wheels and feel they are just fine, I probably wouldn't spend the extra dollars, although I do note that they look better longer....so maybe I would, I guess price would be the deciding factor - same with underbelly.

Good Luck, I probably didn't help much...

Jim

I ordered my Gulf Stream and got a pretty good deal on it.  I was able to shop around once I figured out exactly what I wanted and it turns out the closest dealer gave me the best price AND was awesome to work with.  The enclosed underbelly is a must, in my opinion.  I don't have any experience with an exterior grill or aluminum vs steel wheels.

Underbelly = definitely yes
Alum Rims = maybe. No rust and look swell. Depends on price
Outside Grill = nope. You can buy a much nicer portable unit for less.

We have an outdoor kitchen on our 21.5ft CruiserRV too. Although it wasn't on our wish list when looking to buy - it certainly was an attraction and I can tell you - I prefer using it not only for cooking but to wash my dishes as well. That extra refrigerator is great because not only do we store our beverages for easy access since we are outside most of the time, but anything I plan to cook with that day, I put in that refrig so I am not constantly going in the trailer.  Our camper also came with a gas grill (another surprise) that hooks on to our camper and has an arm to swing over to face the outdoor kitchen area and plugs into the propane. Also very nice little feature. When I'm done with my kitchen at the end of the day, I close the door.
Any trash, we put inside a closed container or inside the truck until we take it to the trash area. I use only small bags for trash and don't accumulate it; I throw it out everytime I pass a waste area so not to attract animals or bugs. It's a great feeling when you've spent time looking for your trailer and know when you found the right one for you. Everyone has different needs - that's why there are so many different options. I wish you luck with your new home and happy trails!

jandyman said:
Hi,

We've figured out which trailer to buy - a Jay Feather 23M. It's got a small slide and a murphy bed which allows the bed area to be used for a sofa during the day- so it feels really big for its size. But since it is our first trailer, we are confused about whether to order some options. I'm interested in opinions on any of the following.

Enclosed underbelly. Supposedly the advantage of this is that it provides some additional protection from the elements (i.e. the cold). Since we plan on travelling mostly in the summer, I wonder about the utility of this. My wife likes the idea on the theory that it will make it harder to critters to get in and chew wires and such, but I'm skeptical about how effective it would be. In fact, I wonder whether it would give them more cavities in which to live. And I like the idea of being able to get at things more easily in case I have to fix them.

With an enclosed belly pan you can, within limits and with proper precautions, use the plumbing in below-freezing weather.  Without it, you can't.  My trailer has the enclosed belly, and I rely on it for spring and fall trips.

Critters, if present where the trailer is stored, will get in and chew wires etc, underbelly or not.

Aluminum Rims. Supposedly helps brake cooling. Worth the money?

Snake oil.  The only benefit is looks.

Outside grill. Sound nice. The only concern is whether this would be a bear attraction in places where bears are a concern.

Some people like them.  Take a careful look at where they put the grill and whether anything can be damaged by grease, smoke, or heat.  I have seen a few installations that are not well thought through.

I have not myself fully solved the grill dilemma.  For the upcoming season I have a Magma grill and am trying to figure out what sort of mount I'm going to build for it.  Maybe a collar on the tongue jack or something with an arm that extends out.

One remaining question. What type of discount should we expect to get on a special order?

Who knows?  Plenty of dealers for those so try to get a bidding war going.

Back
Top Bottom