Trailer Tire Pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rugrwl

I'm going to be taking my new fifth wheel toy hauler down to Pismo in a few weeks and was wondering if I need to reduce the air pressure in the trailer tires as I do in the tow vehicle.  Thanks.  William

Well, I have seen lots of slide in campers, tent trailers and such  -- but 5ers?!  ::)  But then what the hell do I know.  Any rate, not nowiing the adaptablity of trailer rims to airing down, I am going to give it a pass.  Unless someone who has done the thing shows up here, I would recommenda four wheeling or ORV forum or source for this info.

I doubt if airing down will have much benefit for the trailer.  You would not want to reduce trailer tire pressure very much because the sidewalls are usually stiffer than car tires and probably susceptible to popping off the rims. And you don't need traction on those tires, just floatation.

Be very cautious in the sand with a heavy trailer - chances are there is more weight concentrated on the trailer tires than on the car. You might easily be carrying 2 tons or more per tire on the trailer and they could dig right in where the car floas on over the sand.  Moving in a straight line may be OK, but they will tend to dig in on even a slight turn.

Good luck!

Our daughter and SIL recently took their 5er to Pismo against my warnings. They got stuck and needed help to get out.

A prior colleague used to take his motorhome and Jeep down there. He used to carry a long snatch 'em strap. At the end of the weekend he'd put his Jeep in front of the coach, attach the long strap, then floor it. At the end of the strap the Jeep stopped abruptly, the motorhome might have moved an inch or two (or not) and he'd repeat the process until the coach eventually came out of the hole. This couldn't have been good for the Jeep  ???

Be very cautious in the sand with a heavy trailer - chances are there is more weight concentrated on the trailer tires than on the car. You might easily be carrying 2 tons or more per tire on the trailer and they could dig right in where the car floas on over the sand.  Moving in a straight line may be OK, but they will tend to dig in on even a slight turn.

Boy howdy they will!  Trailer axles are dead axles.  On turns, especially sharp turns they will scrub.  Scrubbing on beach sand digs you in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom