Trailer tires vs. Tires for SUV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SRGuy

Just got back from a trip. Had two of my three year old TT original tires blow out, big time. My fender skirt was destroyed, the underbelly ripped open, a metal support wing was bent and I know it's going to break off when I deal with it. All of the damage occurred on the second blowout. The tire's steel belt became a circular saw for a second or two.

Now, I'm replacing tires. On my last trip, a tire blew. Down to one original, and I'm being proactive with replacing it. I will now travel with two spares.

This whole thing is deja vu, all over again. Different TT, same experience as with two others. I do check my tires, I do keep them inflated at recommended pressure. I do put on those soft tire sun shield shrouds, when parked.

OK, these are ST 225/R15. My TT GVWR is 10,000. Double axels mean each tire needs to support 2,500 lbs.

Have any of you gone the SUV tire route? I feel that dedicated trailer tires are all garbage.

I know there are lots of technical issues, here, but I'm not inclined, yet, to read up on them, on my own.

So, you tire experts, what are your recommendations, here?

All info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have the space between axles go to 16 inch wheels. That gives you more options in the LT tires. If not then LT tires with as much weight capacity as you can find in 15 inch.

ST tires are for moderate weather and low speeds. Like you, I have had almost new ST tires blow out, particularly in summer.

Do you have a TPMS system? If not, I would recommend you get one. They won’t prevent a tire from exploding but it may give you a little warning so you can pull over before it does.
The other thing is have you ever had your trailer weighed after you’re all packed and the tanks are full? It doesn’t take much to overload a trailer. My DW was a Good one for doing that.

How old were the tires? I replace our trailer tires every 5 years and am anal about proper care and maintenance of them. No TPS will warn you of an impending blowout when the tires are about to fail.

Just got back from a trip. Had two of my three year old TT original tires blow out, big time. My fender skirt was destroyed, the underbelly ripped open, a metal support wing was bent and I know it's going to break off when I deal with it. All of the damage occurred on the second blowout. The tire's steel belt became a circular saw for a second or two.

Now, I'm replacing tires. On my last trip, a tire blew. Down to one original, and I'm being proactive with replacing it. I will now travel with two spares.

This whole thing is deja vu, all over again. Different TT, same experience as with two others. I do check my tires, I do keep them inflated at recommended pressure. I do put on those soft tire sun shield shrouds, when parked.

OK, these are ST 225/R15. My TT GVWR is 10,000. Double axels mean each tire needs to support 2,500 lbs.

Have any of you gone the SUV tire route? I feel that dedicated trailer tires are all garbage.

I know there are lots of technical issues, here, but I'm not inclined, yet, to read up on them, on my own.

So, you tire experts, what are your recommendations, here?

All info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
that's a high load for a 15 inch tire, if you have room for 16's then you will have a better choice to choose from.
best 15 inch I know of are THESE load range E 2830 lbs each

just a point to note, the tires won't see all that weight, if you subtract the tongue weight
off the gross, the remaining figure is what the tires will see.

I used to be an LT tire person, but I gave these a try and they have been good for 4 years now.
I would be happy to use them again.

LT truck tires won't have the load capacity for the same size tire, you would have to go to 16 inch.

Last edited:
No TPS will warn you of an impending blowout when the tires are about to fail.
If you’re referring to my statement, I did say it MAY warn you. I had a tire blow once and I never knew it until a passerby made me aware of a problem, I was able to pull over before any major damage happened.

If you’re referring to my statement,
I don't believe that I referenced anything said by anyone?

I have seen far too many RV folks get a TPS system and think that it will prevent all tire problems. Nothing replaces a frequent inspection of all tires and replacement based on age, rather than tire tread wear.

I don't believe that I referenced anything said by anyone?

I have seen far too many RV folks get a TPS system and think that it will prevent all tire problems. Nothing replaces a frequent inspection of all tires and replacement based on age, rather than tire tread wear.
true.. a TPS will only alert you to slow leaks and under pressure.
pending blowouts, not a chance..

The only way to get a higher load is either upgrade to 16" wheels & tires OR get the TransEagle ST-Radial in F or G rating. You just have to make sure your wheels can handle 95psi (F) or 110psi (G)...

I laugh when i see these posts because how often do people even check their tire pressures? I check mine once a month most people not at all - they never check pressures on the trailer or the tow vehicle or inspect the tires and drive way faster than they should. We got passed by a guy the other day with a ford super duty pulling about a 30ft bumper pull, because we were on company time we were doing the speed limit. He passed us like we were standing still. 5 miles down the road there he was flat tire. I howled.
Not saying this is the case here - just saying

Last edited:
I laugh when i see these posts because how often do people even check their tire pressures?
Interesting..... You are quite different from myself or anyone we have traveled with. I got into the habit of checking tire pressures all around each morning, years ago. I'm not sure how many actually do that but I sure see a lot of people claim to do as I do, but I suppose that one can't be sure. You sound like a good candidate for a tire pressure monitor system.

Interesting..... You are quite different from myself or anyone we have traveled with. I got into the habit of checking tire pressures all around each morning, years ago. I'm not sure how many actually do that but I sure see a lot of people claim to do as I do, but I suppose that one can't be sure. You sound like a good candidate for a tire pressure monitor system.
Im trying to find a cost effective one that will work with my f350 ford makes one but its 4 tires and my trailer has 6 and ford wants $800 for the factory integrated system. We almost bought one but in April this year we bought our current rig. Which is new, but yes its on my list, the new rig came with an incommand system and you can buy the operating tpms in the USA but they dont ship to Canada, so i may ship it to my buddys place in Jupiter Florida and ship it here for next season. Im an old biker so in my younger days we checked tire pressures multiple times day due to high speeds same with my corvettes we drove with the tire pressure screen always on

I laugh when i see these posts because how often do people even check their tire pressures? I check mine once a month most people not at all - they never check pressures on the trailer or the tow vehicle or inspect the tires and drive way faster than they should
I agree that many people don’t check their pressures. The CG I’m in right now, I’ve been on the same site for a few years and I’ve seen many many rv’s pull out in the morning and I can honestly say I don’t remember seeing anyone check pressures. I’m sure some have but there aren’t any that I’ve seen.

I laugh when i see these posts because how often do people even check their tire pressures? I check mine once a month most people not at all - they never check pressures on the trailer or the tow vehicle or inspect the tires and drive way faster than they should. We got passed by a guy the other day with a ford super duty pulling about a 30ft bumper pull, because we were on company time we were doing the speed limit. He passed us like we were standing still. 5 miles down the road there he was flat tire. I howled.
Not saying this is the case here - just saying
I check mine before we leave on a trip and again before we return home.
2 minutes with a gauge is all it takes.

By "SUV tire", do you mean LT rather than ST? Cause most SUVs come with P (Passenger) rated tires and that's not a good choice. Both LT & P tires will have a much lower load rating (weight carrying capacity) than ST (trailer) tires. Their advantage is they are rated for higher speeds, more than 65 mph.

A P tire is a poor choice for a trailer because of the high sideways loads on trailer tires. P tires have very flexible sidewalls to aid in ride comfort. LTs are OK (relatively stiff sidewalls), but still lower in weight capacity.

I suggest you stick with ST tires unless you routinely travel at 65 mph or more. There are decent quality ST tires, and you might consider a larger size (wider). Or even re-tooling to go to 16" tires. Requires new wheels and maybe new axle hubs as well (to match the wheel bolt pattern).

just a point to note, the tires won't see all that weight, if you subtract the tongue weight
Not if you have an equalizing hitch. The bars will transfer part of the tongue weight back to the trailer tires, the exact amount depending on the tongue to axle distance. But figure on approximately half of the tongue weight transferring to the trailer axles.

that's a high load for a 15 inch tire, if you have room for 16's then you will have a better choice to choose from.

I used to be an LT tire person, but I gave these a try and they have been good for 4 years now.

LT truck tires won't have the load capacity for the same size tire, you would have to go to 16 inch.
X2 on these Goodyear Endurance tires The load range E till give you a capacity of (2,830x4) 11,320 lbs. They also have a maximum speed of: 87 mph (speed rating N).

Joel

Federal safety standards stipulate that the trailer axles be able to carry 90% of the GVWR, so a 10,000 lb GVWR means trailer axes rated for at least 9000 lbs (combiner). Probably two 4500 lb axles equipped with tires rated for at least 2250 each. An ST225/75R15 in LRE would handle that.

Just ordered one. Sounds like a great tire. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom