Trailer tires vs. Tires for SUV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I laugh when i see these posts because how often do people even check their tire pressures? I check mine once a month most people not at all - they never check pressures on the trailer or the tow vehicle or inspect the tires and drive way faster than they should. We got passed by a guy the other day with a ford super duty pulling about a 30ft bumper pull, because we were on company time we were doing the speed limit. He passed us like we were standing still. 5 miles down the road there he was flat tire. I howled.
Not saying this is the case here - just saying
Read much? If you're laughing at my op, then read it, again. I clearly write that I do regularly check my tires. If your post is directed at someone else, simply ignore my irritation with you, here.

My TPMS displays my tire pressures and temperatures in almost real time. I still check my pressures the old school way before every big trip simply because it's easier to add air at home.

10000 lb trailer, 1300 lb aprox tongue weight, 8700 lb on the axles, so no more than 2200 lbs on each tire.

Goodyear Endurance ST225/75/R15 load range E (only one GY makes) is rated at 2830 lbs.

Goodyear RV Tires – Tire Selector

Select Endurance and it will take you to that page and specs. not possible to link directly to it.

GY brochure in PDF, page 4 is for the Endurance

Discount Tire usually has decent prices on these. Get them to install solid metal stems so you can mount TPMS sensors on them.

Endurance should be more than enough and is USA made and has proven to be very reliable. I have five of them after blowing a 3 yo Hercules. Only other viable option is the Trans America G rated mentioned above and it is China made? and new enough that there are no complaints (yet). Supposedly made by Salun which is a large China mfg of truck tires.

Big Truck Big RV video on the Trans America tire

Charles

Last edited:
I laugh when i see these posts because how often do people even check their tire pressures? I check mine once a month most people not at all - they never check pressures on the trailer or the tow vehicle or inspect the tires and drive way faster than they should. We got passed by a guy the other day with a ford super duty pulling about a 30ft bumper pull, because we were on company time we were doing the speed limit. He passed us like we were standing still. 5 miles down the road there he was flat tire. I howled.
Not saying this is the case here - just saying
I check the truck and trailer before every trip, sometimes on the trip if I suspect something (trips are short, 3 days usually).

When was the last time you checked the SPARE? I discovered the one in my little Pontiac Vibe had peeled apart. New one on the way. Tire shop said they didn't have a source for those temporary spares, so I ordered it online, new Continental on the way.

Charles

Not if you have an equalizing hitch. The bars will transfer part of the tongue weight back to the trailer tires, the exact amount depending on the tongue to axle distance. But figure on approximately half of the tongue weight transferring to the trailer axles.
good catch.. I assumed it would transfer almost all the weight..
so the OP now has approx. 9500 on his tires..

I have a TPMS that I use when traveling. Rising pressures and temperatures are a good reason to pull over and check. Especially if it only one tire.

When I am camped for about 2 weeks or longer, the day before breaking camp, I hook up my air compressor (it has a gage) to each trailer tire and top them off if need be. Since I drive the truck lots, I am aware of its pressures.

I put 16” GY Endurance’s on my trailer this summer. Nice high speed rating even if I don’t drive very fast with the trailer.

@SRGuy if your trailer's OEM tires were anything like mine (on a similar sized trailer/GVWR around 11k#), they were D load range. Recommended tire pressure on any trailer should be max, which I think was 65psi. Probably the cheapest option available during manufacture to meet the required federal weight standards, but they leave you almost no headroom in weight capacity. If your trailer is a little overweight, or the tire becomes a little underinflated, that's a quick recipe for disaster.

When I replaced my trailer's tires, I upgraded to E load range (80 psi max) which added several thousand pounds of capacity. (Even if I didn't need it, I also knew that the tires weren't constantly sitting at near-max capacity.) I always kept them at max pressure, checked them before every trip, replaced after 4-5 years, and never had a problem. Many reputable sources involving large trailer towing will recommend this move of buying tires 1-2 load ranges higher than stock.

TPMS is a good idea, but it will only (maybe) give you a warning of when a tire loses pressure and is about to blow... hopefully providing time for you to pull over. But that won't do anything for understanding and mitigating the root cause of the tire failure.

that's a high load for a 15 inch tire, if you have room for 16's then you will have a better choice to choose from.
best 15 inch I know of are THESE load range E 2830 lbs each

just a point to note, the tires won't see all that weight, if you subtract the tongue weight
off the gross, the remaining figure is what the tires will see.

I used to be an LT tire person, but I gave these a try and they have been good for 4 years now.
I would be happy to use them again.

LT truck tires won't have the load capacity for the same size tire, you would have to go to 16 inch.
Just got the word. Tire won't be back in stock until next January. Darn!

Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom