Trailer Transport Company problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkland222

I paid a transport company (Truckit365) $2500 via my debit card to haul my bumper pull  TT from Buffalo NY to Colorado. It's a 2014 Jayco Jayflight 33RLDS. He agreed to pick it up yesterday (Sat, 8-10-2019)

Beforehand I emailed the guy the specs (see below):

Weights & Measures

WEIGHTS
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 7,885
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 1,060
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 10,300
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 2,415

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2014-jay-flight/33rlds/

He shows up in Buffalo and met with my 86 year old Father where the trailer was. I live in Colorado. He tells my Dad he thinks the trailer is too heavy for him to pull safely. He has a Ford F250 4x4 turbo diesel. My Dad said he then hooked up the trailer and took it for a test ride to see how it would pull. My Dad said he was gone 1/2 an hour and was a bit worried. When he returned he tells my Dad he can't pull it with his F250 and that he'll have to come back with a bigger truck or a flatbed trailer. He told my dad 4-5 days BUT.... on the phone he told me maybe 2 weeks or so. Plus some additional charges (45 bucks - but he'd split that in half for me)

I'm a bit concerned about the company/driver. I already gave him the info regarding trailer weight yet he shows up with a vehicle not capable of towing it ?? That was yesterday at about 6 pm EST. I texted and called his number as I have some questions for him but have yet to received a reply. Before all this happened, anytime I called, texted or emailed him he responded back to me in no time.

Should I be worried? I'm concerned because I already paid this guy 2500 bucks. Can I withdraw or put a hold on his payment or is it too late? I will likely give him the rest of the day to respond back and then take action but I'm unsure if this guy is legit or just talking BS and jacking me around. Why would he show up with a truck incapable of towing the trailer (when he already knew the type of trailer and its weight specs). BTW, the only things inside the trailer was towels, silverware, bedding, little stuff. The grey and black tanks were empty. The company is called Truckit 365, guys name is Mitchell Keller, seems like a husband/wife team set-up.

Thoughts, suggestions?

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2014-jay-flight/

^^^^  A Ford 250 Ford diesel with a turbo cant pull this 1600 miles?

Call your bank about the debit, although I don't know if they'll be able to do anything if the transaction has completed. If you happen to get your money back and decide to find someone else ...

On our recent drive to/from the MidWest, my other half pointed out numerous large pickup trucks towing large trailers or 5th wheels. In almost all cases, they had signs/painted ads with 'RV towing', 'RV Transport', etc on the side. Wish I'd made a note of the actual names & phone numbers.

After going through some issues trying to find a reliable carrier to transport one of our cars across country, I happened to watch an amazon video series called Shipping Wars. It featured a number of independent transporters who bid against each other for jobs on uship.com. A few weeks later I happened to be talking with an RV dealer who told me that many of his customers around the US use UShip to deliver trailers and fifthwheels he sells.

I would give him a day.  6pm to 8am, saturday night to Sunday morning.  A quick google, the guy seems ligit, I'd wait until Monday and try calling him.  Then by Monday afternoon, call your bank and see what your options are.  Good Luck. 

Agree that he looks legit. Overall, very good ratings, although one negative review mentioned that communications stopped once the guy got his deposit.

Thanks for the advice.

And yes, I did check out many different shippers and their reviews before hiring this guy. I found 2 (not one) bad reviews on Truckit365 with the same scenario : taking full payment then not answering calls, emails or texts. But many were positive.

I guess the thing that boggles my mind the most is him showing up with a truck too small to haul the trailer (at least that's what he is claiming) I made it clear what the specs were on the TT.

And since last night I have not heard from him. I know it's Sunday but .....a quick text assuring me on a time frame of pick-up/delivery is all I want. He told my Father 4-5 days and later told me 2 weeks or so. PlusI already paid the guy in full therefore I think he owes me a quick text or call addressing the situation.

It?s a bit late now, but putting this type of transaction on your debit card is risky. Once the card is processed, your money is gone. At least with a credit card, it?s the bank?s money that?s tied up in case of a dispute.

We hope you have a positive resolution. Please let us know what the outcome is.

The hauler just texted me AND emailed me assuring me that he'll be back in at least 2 weeks to hookup and tow it to me. Also of note: My Father said the trailer was clean and that nothing was in it. The transport guy sent me pics. The trailer is loaded to the gills with stuff ! 

I'll keep this post updated. 

kirkland222 said:
Also of note: My Father said the trailer was clean and that nothing was in it. The transport guy sent me pics. The trailer is loaded to the gills with stuff ! 

You lost me on that quote.  :eek: ::) :-\ :(

kirkland222 said:
The hauler just texted me AND emailed me assuring me that he'll be back in at least 2 weeks to hookup and tow it to me. Also of note: My Father said the trailer was clean and that nothing was in it. The transport guy sent me pics. The trailer is loaded to the gills with stuff ! 

I'll keep this post updated.

If he did not take your trailer, if it?s still at your dads, whose stuff is loaded in it and when did he load it. I would tell him to get that stuff out now! What if it is overloaded or not secured and damages the inside of your TT.

My father must have been loading stuff in there, unknown to me. I have  not been there in 3 years.  And yes it will have  to be cleaned up so no damage occurs. My Dad is 86, has health probs and dementia.

Always more to the story  ;).  I (many of us) can relate, oh the sill stuff my dad did after mom passed away.  Sounds like it will all work out, in time.  Keep us posted, and good luck.

Yep, that I bet is the case. My Dad decided to load it up ---- with JUNK !! and I mean it's everywhere and packed solid.

Yet he told me it was empty and ready to go. And me being in CO - and him in NY - there was no way I could inspect the camper.

kirkland222 said:
My Dad decided to load it up ---- with JUNK !! and I mean it's everywhere and packed solid.

How nice of your dad to try and send some if his gently used treasures to you.  ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if when he took it for the "test drive" he actually went to a scale and weighed it and found out it was loaded heavy. If that's the case I am impressed with his professionalism.

Tom said:
...... I happened to watch an amazon video series called Shipping Wars. It featured a number of independent transporters who bid against each other for jobs on uship.com. 

I used to be a fan of that show Tom.  It is off the air now but one of those snarly guys died before the show ended - he is the long gray haired guy who traveled with a cat (or was it a dog?)...lol.  Anyway, I have a neighbor who does that kind of work now.  He and his son both have big goosenecks they haul with brand new Ram pickups.  Some of the stuff I have seen on his trailers is unbelievable including cars, trucks, 5vers and large manufacturing gear.  His last truck got destroyed in our neighborhood tornado on April 30th and he says he is glad as it was getting expensive to maintain and he got a brand new one with the insurance.  Sorry I have no advice to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom