Trailers with a "craft" room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hocker

My wife and I are looking forward to the full-time adventure in a few short years. She is in to rubberstamping as a hobby and is able to make a little money by giving classes and home parties (like tupperware). We'd like to be able to accommodate this in our trailer, but have not seen any suitable floorplans yet. We are looking for a layout with a queen bedroom, living area for a recliner type chair or two, and a separate space or room for her craft supplies and work table. We have considered getting a trailer with a bunk room and then modifying it to meet our needs. We would like to keep the stuff out of the main living areas so she wouldn't have to put it all away just so we could eat at the table.
Are those toy hauler type trailers suitable...do they get warm in the summertime sun?
Anyone out there familiar with a trailer that has a space that could be a craft room? We'd love to hear about any creative ideas!

I have used trailers outfitted as oil well logging labs.  Custom building trailers is a small industry.  However, I suspect the way for you all to go is as you say, a toy hauler with a smaller garage space

Way back in the early 80s, we had a 35' 5th wheel that was originally designed as a 2-bedroom trailer. We had the rear bedroom stripped and Mike turned it into a darkroom.

http://www.travelunits.com/  These folks will custom build for you.  I'd also look at the Titanium, (cannot access their website currently), as they have a spareroom that is not quite a toyhauler.  It is separated by Frenchdoors from the living area and gives a sense of spaciousness in a quality built RV.  Hope this helps, Phil

I don't know about travel trailers, but in fifth wheel's........

Pilgrim International's Open Road has at least 2 fifth wheel's with an extra room in the back.  We have a 2005 396RDDS-5.  It is a 40 footer with a king bed in the bedroom (very nice I must say), kitchen, dining table and couch in the middle and a closed off room in the back that can either have a couch and two recliners or two swivel chairs and two recliners.  Of course you can remove any of the chairs and couches to suit your needs.  The back room works great for many needs - we have two small children so it is their room.  We fit in there a toddler bed, pack'n'play (small crib), a recliner and one swivel chair.  Their other model that I know of has a larger back room, but there is not room for a couch in the middle.  So basically the middle room is smaller to accomidate.  Cardinal's also have a fifth wheel with an extra room.

Thanks to everyone for their input, it's been most helpful. There are some nice floorplans out there! Those Pilgrims have a neat set up with a separate room.
Is there a significant difference towing the bigger 35-40' fivers?  Seems to me the extra "burden" would be worth it when full-timing...better to have a comfortable home than go small and cheap, right?
Thanks, Jon

hocker said:
Thanks to everyone for their input, it's been most helpful. There are some nice floorplans out there! Those Pilgrims have a neat set up with a separate room.
Is there a significant difference towing the bigger 35-40' fivers?? Seems to me the extra "burden" would be worth it when full-timing...better to have a comfortable home than go small and cheap, right?
Thanks, Jon

There is one very significant difference with those huge 5ers.  You need a really big tow vehicle.  You are even getting out of F 350 dually territory into medium duty truck country.

About the 35-40 footers - we have a 2006 F-350 single rear wheel - had an '02 F350 Dually before this.  Have had no problems towing them.  Now, the key thing to look for is the weight. (some trailors are lighter than others even that big)  Unloaded our Pilgrim Open Road 40 footer is 15500 dry.  Technically that is what the F-350 maxes out at.  In our Open Road brochure there was a comment from someone that they have an F250 and pull a 40-footer.  AND, while we were parked somewhere, we found someone with a 40-foot open road (different model) that pulled with a single rear wheel F350 and they said they fill it full (insurance adjusters full time).  So, it's up to you.  My husband is the one that normally pulls - but when we got our brand new truck, I even drive it now pulling our fifth wheel and honestly I can hardly tell it is there!!!!!  (if you know what I mean)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom